Banana Cream Pie Cookies might become your new favorite cookie. If you love Banana Cream Pie, these sweet cookies combine a quick, easy, no-bake banana cream pie recipe on top of a shortbread-like cookie.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
SIS (Simple is Smart) Tip:
This recipe makes more topping than you will need for the cookies. Put the extra banana cream pie topping in Mini Graham Cracker Pie Shells and top with whipped cream for individual banana cream pies. You get two desserts with one recipe.
Banana Cream Pie Cookies Ingredients
Butter – use unsalted but take the butter out and let it warm up before using.
Powdered Sugar – sweetener and tenderizer: interferes with gluten formation, protein coagulation, and starch gelatinization.
Granulated Sugar – sweetener, the bond between sugar and water, locks in moisture so baked items don’t dry out too quickly.
Egg – Holds the cookies together and gives them a little lift. Let the egg warm up to room temperature.
Vanilla – Flavoring
All-purpose flour – a medium-gluten white flour for all types of baked goods.
Corn Starch- Helps keep the cookies plump, soft, and tender.
Baking Powder – a two-in-one chemical leavening that combines a powdered alkali (sodium bicarbonate) with a powdered acid (initially, tartaric acid). When moistened in the cookie dough, a chemical reaction produces carbon dioxide gas, giving the cookies lift.
Banana Cream Pudding Cookies Topping:
Instant Vanilla or Banana Pudding Mix: this comes in a box. Purchase the instant one.
Ice Water – helps the pudding set up.
Sweetened Condensed Milk – provides a concentrated creaminess and sweet, milky flavor. That makes it perfect for creamy things that you want to set to a near-solid, like banana cream pie cookies.
Heavy Cream: Makes the pie extra creamy and light.
Bananas – it wouldn’t be banana cream pie without these.
Mini Nilla Wafers – Purchase Nabisco’s Nilla Wafers, not Vanilla Wafers.
Make the Cookie Base:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter and sugars
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix.
- Add the cornstarch, salt, and baking powder to the flour and add the mixture to the batter. Mix in until just combined.
- Chill the dough for an hour.
- Roll the dough out 1/4 inch thick and cut into 2-inch diameter cookies. Reroll the scraps to make a total of 18 cookies.
- Use a flat bottom glass about 1 1/4 inch in diameter to make a shallow indentation in the cookie. (see the picture)
- Freeze the cookies for five minutes and then bake for 10-12 minutes or until set and slightly golden brown around the edges.
Make the Banana Cream Pie Topping:
- Add the Sweetened Condensed Milk to the ice water and beat with a hand mixer for two minutes.
- Add the instant pudding mix and beat for one more minute. Chill for four hours.
- After chilling for four hours, add the vanilla to the heavy cream. Whip the heavy cream into stiff peaks and fold it into the pudding.
- Add the crushed Nilla Wafter and Sliced Bananas. Mix.
- Top the cookies with a generous amount of the pudding mix and a mini Nilla Wafer.
Store the Banana Cream Pie Cookies in a single layer in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
The cookie base can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months. To serve. let the cookies thaw while you make the topping. Then top with the Banana Cream Pie topping.
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. After the recipe, the comment section is down at the end of the blog. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply by name.
- To see the ingredient amounts in metric units, click the blue "METRIC:" button between the ingredients and the instructions for this recipe.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- Stand or Hand Mixer
- 2-inch biscuit cutter
- cookie baking sheet
- 1¼ cups Butter unsalted
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
Banana Cream Pie Topping
- 1 pkg instant vanilla or banana pudding 3.4oz box.
- 1 14oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1⅓ cups ice water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 bananas sliced
- 1½ cups coarsely crushed mini Nilla Wafers
- 18 whole mini Nilla Wafers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 170°C
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the creamed butter and sugars.
- In a separate bowl, add the cornstarch, salt, and baking powder to the flour.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 60 minutes.
- Make the pudding topping while the dough is chilling.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll the dough out to be ¼ inch(7mm) thick. Cut into 2-inch (5cm)diameter rounds with a biscuit cutter.
- Place each round on a parchment-lined cookie baking sheet.
- Use a flat bottom glass about 1¼ inch in diameter to make a shallow indentation in each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. Cookies should be set and slightly golden brown around the edges.
- Let the cookies cool completely before you add the banana pudding.
Banana Cream Pie Topping
- Add the Sweetened Condensed Milk to the ice water and beat for two minutes with a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
- Add the instant pudding mix and beat for one more minute.
- Chill the pudding for four hours until set.
- At the end of the four hours of chilling, Whip the heavy cream in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chilled pudding.
- Stir in the sliced bananas and Nilla Wafer coarse crumbs.
- Spread a generous amount of banana pudding mix on top of each cookie base and top with a mini Nilla Wafer.
- Store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Do not stack the cookies.
- Freeze the cookie base for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
- Defrost, and make the banana cream pie topping. Top with the banana cream pie topping and serve.