Banana Cream Pie has a rich dark chocolate ganache layer on the bottom. The filling has fresh bananas in a creamy custard topped with whipped cream and slivered almond.
This dessert has most of my favorite dessert items; dark rich chocolate, ripe bananas, creamy custard pudding, and whipped cream. Put it all together for a heavenly Banana Cream Pie with a dark chocolate layer. Add my pre-baked flaky piecrust for a – to die for dessert.
What Do I Need To Make This Pie?
This pie has a creamy vanilla custard made with milk, eggs, sugar and fresh Ripe bananas. I love this custard. I love it so much that I’ve been known to turn it into pudding and skip the pie. MMM, it is sooo creamy good.
On the bottom of the pie is a deep dark chocolate ganache layer. Chocolate chips and heavy cream are the ingredients for the ganache. Top this pie with stabilized whipped cream – unless you will be serving and eating it within a couple of hours. Add a few slivered almonds for a garnish.
How Do I Make The Banana Cream Pie.
Start with a pie crust. Make your own or use my recipe for pie crust. Purchased pie crusts that you can pre-bake or blind bake also work well. For instructions on how to blind bake a pie crust (click here).
Once the crust is baked, it’s time to make the chocolate ganache by mixing chocolate chips and heavy cream. Microwave the mixture for 20 seconds and stir. Continue microwaving for 20 seconds and then stirring until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour the ganache into the pie shell and freeze for 20 minutes.
Make the custard by bringing the milk, cornstarch, and sugar to a boil. Use the hot mixture to temper the eggs by slowly adding about 3/4 of a cup to the egg yolks. Then add the tempered eggs back into the hot milk and boil another 2 minutes. Finish the custard by adding some butter and vanilla.
Layer it in the pre-baked pie plate. Slice the bananas on top of the frozen chocolate. Add the custard and chill for 2 hours before decorating with whipped cream rosettes. I’m ready for a slice, now where is my fork?
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
- 1 prebaked 9-inch pie crust purchased or homemade
- ¾ cup semisweet dark chocolate chips (130 g)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream 59 ml
Banana Cream Pie Layer
- 3 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1¾ cups whole milk (472 ml)
- ¼ cup half and half (59ml)
- ⅔ cup sugar (150g)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter
Whipped Cream Topping
- 2 cups stabilized whipped cream (475ml)
- Add the heavy cream to the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 20 seconds, stir to mix and, microwave another 20 seconds. Stir to mix and repeat microwaving until you have a smooth soft chocolate mixture.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the purchased or homemade prebaked pie crust and freeze for 20 minutes
Cream Pie Layer
- Add the sugar, cornstarch, and salt to a kettle and stir to mix.
- Add the milk and whisk in
- Heat kettle on medium until the milk is hot, bubbly and thick. Remove from the heat.
- Slowly add 3/4 of the hot milk mixture to the beaten egg yolk. Whisk all the while you are adding the hot milk. This keeps the yolks from cooking unevenly resulting in egg yolk lumps in your pie. Then immediately add the egg yolks back into the rest of the hot milk mixture. Again whisk while adding the mixture back into the hot milk. Continue to whisk, while heating on medium for another 2 minutes.
- Remove kettle from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla and let it cool to warm temperature.
- Remove the pie shell from the freezer and place the sliced bananas into the bottom of the shell on top of the chocolate layer.
- Add the warm pie filling on top of the bananas
- Put in refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- Pipe stabilized whipped cream(click for recipe) rosettes around the edge of the pie and in the middle. Sprinkle a few slivered almonds around the edges on top of the whipped cream.