Bang Bang Shrimp are spicy, crunchy, and creamy all at the same time. They are deep-fried to give them that super crunchy coating and then drizzles with a spicy and creamy chili sauce.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
What Shrimp Makes the Best Bang Bang Shrimp.
My all-time favorite shrimp to use in this recipe are the wild-caught jumbo Florida pink shrimp. We spend the winters in Florida, and one of the first things I purchase after we get to Florida in January is these jumbo pink shrimp. That and Jupiter Donuts – but that’s a different story. I’ve used other shrimp, but nothing beats the flavor and texture of these pink shrimp.
Other Ingredients for Bang Bang Shrimp.
Thai Sweet Red Chili Sauce, Mayonnaise, and Green Dragon Sauce. Green Dragon Sauce is a seriously yummy hot sauce product of Trader Joe’s (click here) to purchase it. Mix the sauce ingredients and set it aside.
Milk with a little lemon juice and cornstarch. That’s it.
Coat and Cook the Shrimp
The temperature of the oil is very important. Try to maintain a steady 375 degrees F. If the oil gets to cold, the shrimp absorb the oil and become soggy. If the oil is too hot the shrimp burn before they are done.
Add a little lemon juice to the milk and mix. Dip the shrimp in the mixture and then roll it in the cornstarch.
Fry the shrimp in small batches of 4-6 shrimp at a time. Put the fried shrimp on a wire rack to drain while you cook the rest of the shrimp. When the shrimp are all fried, put them on a serving plate. Drizzle the sauce over them and serve immediately. YUM!!
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. The comment section is down at the end of the blog, after the recipe. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- deep fryer
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp (21-25 count) 453g
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cornstarch (56g)
- salt and pepper to taste
Bang Bang Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise(113g)
- 2 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp. Green Dragon Sauce (see notes)
Coat and Cook the Shrimp
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 375°F (190°C) make sure the oil is a steady 375° when you fry the shrimp. If the oil is too cold the shrimp will soak up the oil and be soggy. If the oil is too hot the shrimp will burn before they are cooked.
- Put the milk in a bowl.
- Put the corn starch in a separate bowl, add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Make sure the shrimp are peeled and deveined. Dip the shrimp in the milk to coat.
- roll the shrimp in the cornstarch and fry in the deep fryer in small batches of 3-4 shrimp at a time. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until a golden brown.
- Drain briefly on a wire rack.
- Add the deep-fried shrimp to a serving platter and pour the sauce over the shrimp. Stir to coat and serve immediately.