Beef Short Ribs: How can I ever forget the first time I cooked beef short-ribs. They were the worst ever short ribs. I grew up vegetarian. I know unusual to switch from a vegetarian to a carnivore. Anyway, the short ribs were so bad that we had to get take out. What did I do wrong? After all; ribs are ribs, are ribs, RIGHT?? WRONG!! The short rib requires a different cooking method than baby back ribs. That lesson I learned the hard way.
So what are beef short ribs? Short ribs are the ribs from the plate cut. They require a different method of cooking than the beef long ribs or pork ribs. Both beef long ribs and pork ribs can be grilled. However short ribs are best braised. They can be grilled but require a period of braising before grilling.
Dutch Oven or Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs: This recipe makes 4 lbs of short ribs. Short ribs are equally delicious made in the Instant Pot or a Dutch Oven. If using the Dutch Oven preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Start by cooking several slices of bacon in either the instant pot on Saute or the Dutch Oven on medium-high heat. After rendering the fat from the bacon, remove the bacon and add the short ribs. Cut the bacon into one-inch pieces. Sear the short ribs on all sides. You will need to sear the ribs in two batches. Searing takes 8-10 minutes per batch. Once seared, remove the short ribs and drain all but 2 tbsp. of the fat.
Add the onions and celery to the pot and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in the flour and cook well. Use only 1 tbsp of flour if you are cooking the short ribs in a dutch oven. The baking time in the oven will evaporate enough liquid to thicken the sauce.
Add the carrots, sun-dried tomatoes, bacon, and short ribs. Pour the liquid (beef broth, red wine, and Worchester sauce) over the meat and vegetables. You can substitute 2 tbsp. of tomato paste for the sun dried tomatoes. I had a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes that I dried in the dehydrator. I love adding them to my recipes.
Lay the fresh Herbs on top.
Instant Pot: Lock the top in place on the Instant Pot and cook on High Pressure for 60 minutes. Slow-release for 15 minutes than fast release the pressure.
Dutch Oven: Place the cover on the Dutch Oven and place the Dutch Oven into the 350-degree oven. Bake for 4 hours.
Serving: Discard herbs, Transfer the beef short ribs and vegetables to a platter. Strain the sauce into a gravy separator or measuring cup. Remove the fat, season the sauce with salt and pepper. Serve sauce with the braised short ribs.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- Instant Pot or Dutch Oven
- 4 lbs. beef short ribs
- 4 slices Bacon
- 1 medium onion cut into 8 pieces
- 2 stalks celery large diced
- 1 large Carrot cut into 2 inches by 1/2 inch sticks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp. flour Use 1 tbsp if cooking in a Dutch Oven
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tsp Worchester Sauce
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme 1/2 tsp dried
- 3 sprigs oregano 1 tsp if dried
- 2 sprigs rosemary 1/2 tsp. if dried
- To adjust the portions, click on the number of serving and a slider will pop up. Adjusting the slider up or down will automatically calculate the amount needed for each ingredient.
- If using a Dutch Oven preheat the oven to 350°
- In the Dutch Oven on medium-high heat or the Instant Pot on saute add the bacon and cook until the fat is rendered and the bacon starts to crisp. Remove Bacon.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper and Sear/brown on all sides. Brown the short ribs in two batches. Set the short ribs aside after they are Seared.
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp of the fat. Add the onions and celery and saute for 3 minutes, add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the flour and stir in. Cook for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add the ribs to the pot along with all the rest of the ingredients. Finish with the fresh herbs. Lay the herbs on the top of the meat.
- Dutch Oven method: Bake in the oven for 3 hours.
- Instant Pot: Add lid and tighten. Set on high pressure and timer for 60 minutes. Slow-release pressure for 15 minutes then a quick release.
- Remove the herbs and discard. Place the ribs and vegetables on a serving platter.
- Strain the liquid into a gravy separator and remove the fat. Season the liquid with salt and pepper and serve with the short ribs and vegetables.