Best BBQ Chicken Recipe has my super simple secret method for making the moistest, flavorful, delicious BBQ chicken you will ever eat. When I make this chicken for a party or get-together, I never have to worry about leftovers. It is that good.
Serve it with my Potato Salad: Red, White, and Blue for a summer holiday BBQ picnic.
Summer is synonymous with family BBQs and summer parties. Whenever I am hosting the party this Best BBQ Chicken Recipe is a favorite of everyone. I love making it because it takes a small amount of time to make and is amazingly moist, tender, and flavorful.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
What is the secret to making the Best BBQ Chicken Recipe?
The flavor for this chicken starts with my DIY chicken seasoning or rub. Mix up a double batch and you will have enough to last you all summer. Use 1 – 2 teaspoons per chicken leg-quarter. This rub is loaded with flavor and my secret ingredient makes the flavor really “pop.” Umami Powder (shiitake mushroom powder) enhances all the flavors that are in the rub. (click here) for where to purchase Umami powder. It is very versatile and enhances the flavor of soups, stews, sauces, and vegetables. It is so good.
The secret for making the chicken moist and tender is baking before BBQing, the chicken. Baking the chicken first, keeps it from becoming chicken jerky on the BBQ. The chicken is finished on the BBQ for about 5 minutes. Just long enough to give it that BBQ flavor and crisp up the outsides of the piece of chicken. Because the chicken is so moist and ,tender, is is very important to use a grill basket. Without a grill basket the chicken may fall apart on the BBQ and be lost to the flames.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name
- 2 chicken leg quarters or any chicken pieces, breast, drum, or thigh
- BBQ sauce make your own or use your favorite purchased BBQ sauce.
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp dried garlic flakes
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 Tbsp paprika smoked if you have it.
- 1 Tbsp black pepper ground
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp Umami powder (shiitaki mushroom powder - flavor enhancer)
- preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix the Chicken Rub ingredients together and season the chicken leg quarters with the rub
- Place the leg quarters in a baking pan and cover with aluminum foil
- Bake for 1 hour covered. Turn the oven off and uncover the chicken. Let the chicken rest for 20 minutes in the oven. This dries out the skin, and keeps the skin from coming off when you put the chicken on the BBQ.
- Remove the chicken leg quarters and cover with BBQ sauce. I use a grill basket to grill the chicken. The chicken is fully cooked and so moist and tender that it may fall apart and be lost to the flames, if you don't use a grill basket. The BBQ crisps and chars the outside of the chicken.
- Grill on the BBQ until the outside is crispy with areas of char. Usually 3 - 5 minutes.
- Serve with additional BBQ sauce