Pumpkin Pie the classic finish to the Thanksgiving feast. It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without indulging in a big slice of pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream and then a nice afternoon nap. Blame the nap on the tryptophan in the turkey, not on all the food you ate. If you are looking for some more Thanksgiving dinner ideas try my Crumb Top Apple Pie, or my Herb Rosted Butternut Squash . If you are wondering how to roast the Turkey to perfection my Sausage Stuffing in a Perfectly Roasted Turkey will answer all of your questions about How to Roast a Turkey.
SIS – Simple is Smart Tip: Make your own Pumpkin Spice Mixture with my SIS tip that I call the 3,2,1,1,1 pumpkin spice recipe.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix Recipe:
- 3 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
Mix together and store in an airtight container.
What do I Need to Make This Easy Pumpkin Pie?
One single Pie Shell: Make a homemade pie shell with my Easy No-Fail Pie Crust Recipe or purchase a ready-made crust.
Solid Pack Pumpkin Puree: I grow sugar pumpkins. In the fall, I cut them up, roast them, and blend them into a thick pumpkin puree. If you want to use a sugar pumpkin for your pumpkin pie learn, How to Cut up a Pumpkin, How to Roast a Pumpkin and how to make pumpkin puree.
Sweetened Condensed Milk: One can. This gives your pie a creamy custard texture and just the right amount of sweetness.
Pumpkin Pie Spice: purchase it ready-made or make your own with my SIS tip.
Eggs: you will need two large eggs plus an egg yolk. Save the white for a healthy omelet.
How to Make an Easy Pumpkin Pie - Step by Step.
- Roll out your premade pie shell and put it in a 9-inch pie plate. (not a deep-dish pie plate) this recipe makes one regular-size pie. Refrigerate your pie shell until ready to fill it.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium-size bowl. add the pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices, and salt.
- Whisk until well mixed.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minute. Reduce the oven temp. to 350 degrees F. Cover the edges with a pie shield. Check the pie for doneness after a total baking time of 50 minutes. Continue to check every five minutes until the center is nearly set (still a little wiggly). A knife inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Let pie cool and serve with whipped cream.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Baked pie can be frozen and defrosted overnight in the fridge before serving.
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. After the recipe, the comment section is at the end of the blog. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply by name.
- To see the ingredient amounts in metric units, click the blue "METRIC:" button between the ingredients and the instructions for this recipe.
- 1 9-inch regular pie plate
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 1 single pie crust purchase ready made or make one from scratch.
- 2 cups solid pack pumpkin (1 can)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp salt
- Purchase a single ready-made pie crust or use my recipe for a Flaky No-Fail Pie Crust. My recipe is for a double crust so cut the recipe in half.
- Roll the crust out and put it in your pie plate. Crimp or shape the top edge and place the crust in the refrigerator while you make the pie.
Make the Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C)
- You will need 2 cups of solid-pack pumpkin.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add the Pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, pumpkin pie spice, eggs, and salt. See notes below to make your own.
- Whisk together the ingredients until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the refrigerated pie shell.
- Bake at 400°F (204°C) for 15 minutes. Cover he edges with a pie shield and reduce the temperature to 350°F (180°C). Bake for another 35 to 45 minutes. Check the pie after the total baking time of 50 minutes and continue to check every 5 minutes until the center is nearly set (still a little wiggly). If you overbake the pie the top will crack and the insides won't be as creamy and moist.