Italian Dressing from Scratch has a bright fresh taste. It is loaded with flavor and the perfect dressing for a tossed salad. It is great as a marinade for vegetables and meat. Flank Steak is delicious marinated in this dressing and then BBQ’d. Make a double batch today.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
What Goes Into the Best Ever Italian Dressing?
It is SIS( simple is smart) or in this case maybe I should say SAS, simple and smart to make your Italian dressing from scratch. It is free of preservative, cheap oils, and chemical additives.
Italian dressings need quality ingredients. Extra Virgin Olive oil and grapeseed oil, along with the vinegar form the base for this dressing. Use red wine or white wine vinegar and add dried herbs, onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Use Sea salt instead of iodized table salt.
How Do I Make Italian Dressing?
This dressing recipe is so easy to make. The hardest part is gathering all the ingredients together. The list looks long, but you likely have most, if not all, ingredients in your pantry.
Once the ingredients are all gathered, mix them together in a bowl. Because the herbs, onions, garlic, and pepper is dehydrated, the dressing is best after it rests for several hours. This gives the dehydrated vegetables and herbs a chance to rehydrate.
Storing the Italian Dressing.
Store the dressing in a cruet. (click here) for where to find a cruet. The cruet should have a stopper that is airtight. If you don’t have a cruet with an airtight stopper, a small mason jar (pint) can be used instead. Keep the dressing in the fridge. The olive oil and grapeseed oil will thicken some. Shake well before using. It may be difficult to pour straight from the fridge so let it warm up to room temperature for 10-15 minutes before using.
The dressing will keep for several weeks in the fridge.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- Cruet with stopper for storing the salad dressing.
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- ½ cup red or white wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp dried minced garlic may substitute 2 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried minced onions may substitute 2 tsp. fresh minced onions
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix all the ingredients together and let the mixture sit 2-3 hours before using. This gives all the dried ingredients time to rehydrate.
- Store in the fridge.
- Pour into a cruet with a stopper. (click here) for where to find a cruet.