Brown butter pancakes with sheet pan berries are super fluffy, simple, and delicious. They look like you spent the whole morning making them. Make a double batch as everyone will want seconds. They are that good. Serve them for brunch with my Hashbrown Casserole or Artichoke Egg Bake.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
When I make brown butter pancakes with berries, I like the berries to be sweet and hot, with lots of juicy syrup to pour over my pancakes. Fresh berries prepared in a kettle become berry sauce. That is why I love roasting the berries on a sheet pan. They look like whole fresh berries, that are hot and juicy, so beautiful on pancakes or waffles.
Make The Sheet-pan Berries.
Sheet pan berries for these brown butter pancakes, are so simple to make. Add 1 tbsp. Instant Clear Gel to 1/2 cup of sugar. Add the mixture to 4 cups of mixed berries. . When using strawberries, cut them into half or quarters first. Roast them for 25 – 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Stir once half-way through. When you stir the berries if there is unmelted sugar drizzle the berries with 1-2 tbsp water. This will help the sugar melt and the juices thicken up. If you don’t have instant clear gel skip it. In these pictures I didn’t have the Clear Gel.
Clear Gel is a thickening agent that doesn’t require heating for it to thicken liquids. It dissolves completely and works great in hot or cold liquids. It is my favorite fruit and berry thickener for pies, tarts, and sauces.
Make the Fluffy Brown Butter Pancakes.
Make the brown butter first. Whenever I make brown butter, I make extra and store it in the refrigerator. (click here) for a link on how to make brown butter. This recipe lets you add herbs. Don’t add the herbs. While the brown butter is cooling, mix together your dry ingredients. Then in a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients, including the browned butter that has cooled enough, so you don’t cook the eggs. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. The batter will be lumpy.
Cook and Serve the Brown Butter Pancakes with Sheet Pan Berries.
Heat a skillet or electric griddle. Add a little butter to the hot surface to keep the pancakes from sticking. Use a scant 1/2 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook the pancakes for 2-3 minutes. The batter should be set, and the bubbles popped. Sneak a peek underneath to make sure it is a golden brown. Give the pancakes a quick flip and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Serve immediately with the hot berries. Pour any extra juice over the pancake instead of using syrup. A small scoop of ice-cream or whipped cream completes this perfect plate of browned butter pancakes.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- sheet pan
Sheet Pan Berries
- 4 cups berries (600g) mixture of any type of whole berries
- ½ cup granulated sugar (50 g)
- 1 tbsp instant clear gel
Fluffy Brown Butter Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (120g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup milk (177ml)
- ¼ cup sour cream (56 g)
- 1 egg large
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp brown butter
Sheet Pan Berries
- Preheat oven to 350°°F
- Combine the instant clear gel with the sugar. If you don't have clear gel you can skip it. The berry juice won't thicken, but that's ok. The berries will taste just as yummy.
- Add the sugar to the berries and stir. Spread mixture on a sheet pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring once halfway through baking. When you stir the berries halfway through baking, drizzle the berries with 1-2 tbsp of water if the sugar isn't melted.
Fluffy Brown Butter Pancakes
- Make the Browned Butter: Use one stick of butter to make the browned butter. You will only need 2 Tbsp. so save the extra to put on vegetables or use in baking. Follow this link for how to make browned butter. Click Here
- Mix up the pancakes while the berries are roasting.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, soda, and sea salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, sour cream, melted browned butter, and vanilla. (make sure the browned butter is warm and not hot or it will cook the eggs.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients just until no powdery flour is visible. Batter will be lumpy.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet. A few drops of water in the skillet should sizzle when the skillet is hot enough. I use an electric griddle set to 375°F. Grease the skillet or griddle with butter.
- Add 1/2 cup of batter per pancake. A scoop works well for this. Spread the batter out evenly with the back of the scoop.
- Cook until the bottoms are golden brown. About 2-3 minutes. Give a quick flip and cook another 1-2 minutes more. Be patient and don't flip too soon.
- Serve hot with the sheet pan berries and whipped cream or ice cream.
This Post Has 11 Comments
My kid adores it.
thank you, Dr. Jo
I tried this at home, and my kids love it so much. Thanks for this. I super duper loved this recipe.
What a delicious combination of flavors! Looks great! 👏
I love this recipe. It’s become a family favorite. So easy and the sheet pan berries are a great way to heat the berries up and not have them fall apart. Thank you.
I’m making this
Absolutely delicious and easier than it looks!
Pingback: Cinnamon Apple Stuffed French Toast - Grow with Doctor Jo
Pingback: Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce - Grow with Doctor Jo