Caramel Pecan – Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies:
Thumbprint cookies – a holiday classic. Little round cookies that get their name from the way you make them. Roll them in a ball, and press your thumb into them to make a thumbprint indentation. After baking, fill the indentation with something sweet. – like caramel.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
What Makes These Thumbprint Cookies Different?
I thought thumbprint cookies were boring because my mom used to make them, “healthy” She would press a walnut or almond into them instead of something yummy – like chocolate, jam, or caramel. These thumbprint cookies take decadent to a new level. I load the dough with chocolate, roll the balls in pecans, fill the indentation with gooey caramel and finish them with a drizzle of chocolate. A salted caramel lover, like me, also adds a sprinkle of sea salt flakes for extra yum. Oh Yes!!! Now this is over-the-top decadent!
Make The Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies Dough:
- Cream together the sugar and the butter. Beat on medium until smooth.
- Add the egg, and vanilla and beat in.
- Mix the flour, cocoa, espresso powder and salt. The espresso powder gives the chocolate an extra punch of flavor. Optional but very good. Slowly add to the butter mixture and beat on low to mix in.
Form And Bake The Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F
- Form the dough into 1 inch balls by hand or with a small cookie scoop.
- Roll the balls in egg white and then the chopped pecans.
- Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Press with your thumb to flatten slightly, and make a thumb-shaped indentation in the cookie. I used a small dowel, it is the perfect size. However your thumb works great also.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and if the indentation isn’t visible, use a dowel or spoon to reform the indentation.
Filling The Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- Microwave for 30 seconds, 16 caramels with 1 tbsp. heavy cream. Stir and repeat microwaving and stirring until the caramel is melted and smooth.
- Fill the thumbprint cookies with the melted caramel.
- Melt the chocolate chips with the shortening, in 30 second intervals, then drizzle the chocolate over the top of the cookie. The 30 second intervals keep the caramel and the chocolate from scorching.
- Once the chocolate is firm, and the caramel is set, sprinkle with sea salt flakes. (optional)
- Best if eaten within 2 to 3 days.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature or softened
- 2/3 cup sugar granulated
- 1 egg.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour 4.25 ounces
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder (enhances the chocolate flavor)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg white beaten (for rolling cookies in before coating with the chopped pecans)
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped (for coating the balls)
- 16 caramels
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips semi-sweet
- 1 tsp shortening
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth, with a beater at medium speed.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until mixed in.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, and salt. Slowly add to the mixer bowl and beat in at a low speed.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Form 1 inch balls. Roll the balls in beaten egg white and then in chopped pecans to coat. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Press with your thumb to flatten slightly and form a thumbprint shaped indentation. (see notes)
- Bake for 11 minutes.
- If the cookie loses the thumbprint indentation reform with a small spoon immediately post-baking.
Filling the cookie
- Melt the caramels with the heavy cream in the microwave. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. Repeat the microwave 30 seconds and stir, until the caramel is melted and smooth.
- Fill the thumbprints in the cookies with caramel using a teaspoon.
- Melt the chocolate chips with the shortening, by microwaving for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat the microwave 30 seconds and stir step until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Drizzle over the cookies. (see notes)
- Store in a single layer in an air-tight container. Best when eaten within 2 - 3 days. May store in a cool place for up to a week. These cookies don't freeze well.