When my kids were growing up, my son’s favorite meal was chicken tenders or chicken nuggets. It didn’t take many trips to the local fast food restaurant before realizing that I could make a healthier and better-tasting chicken finger dinner. Back in ancient history (according to my kids). To me, it seems like just yesterday. Anyway, back when they were little, I would get 4 and sometimes 5 chicken fingers out of a chicken breast. Now the chicken breasts are enormous. (Yes even the Organic ones). I will get 6 to 8 chicken fingers from one chicken breast.
Remember, SIS (simple is smart). Here is my SIS way to make your own healthy and delicious chicken fingers or chicken nuggets. For the chicken nuggets, simply make the pieces of chicken nuggets size and not tenders size.
What Do You Need?
You will need 3 shallow pans for the 3 stage breading and a skillet with about an inch of oil in the bottom that is heated to 350-degrees F. Add all-purpose flour to the first pan. Beat two eggs and add them to the second pan. In the third pan put panko or Italian style bread crumbs.
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper or my best ever Chicken Seasoning.
2. Dredge the chicken pieces, first in the flour, then in the eggs, and finally in the bread crumbs.
3. Fry each piece of chicken in the skillet with the hot oil. Fry about 3-4 minutes on each side or until a deep golden brown color. The interior of the chicken tender should read at least 170-degrees F.
4. Drain on a cooling grate or paper towel. Serve hot and crispy plain or with a dip.
What to do with Leftovers:
Leftover tenders make a great sandwich. Reheat them, add some of my Chick-fil-A sauce to a toasted roll. It’s finger-licking good.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- 2 large boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (575g) cut into chicken-tenders size pieces (6-8 pieces each breast)
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs large
- salt and pepper to taste or my homemade chicken seasoning
- vegetable oil for frying
- Cut the chicken breasts into pieces. (about 6-8 pieces a breast)
- Season the pieces with homemade chicken seasoning.
- Beat the eggs and put them in a shallow flat container.
- Put the breadcrumbs and flour in separate shallow containers.
- Dredge each piece of seasoned chicken in the flour, then the egg, and lastly the bread crumbs. (this is called a 3 stage breading process)
- Put about an inch of oil in a skillet and heat the oil to 350°F. Once the oil is hot, add the breaded chicken to the oil and fry until a Golden brown about 3-4 minutes. Turn over and Fry the other side another 3-4 minutes. If you have an instant read thermometer the interior of the chicken tender should be 170°F. Alternatively, you can fry in a deep fryer.