Chocolate Caramel Crunch Bars are rice Krispie treats that grew up. They will still appeal to the kid in you with the Rice Krispie cereal, but they are much more sophisticated than the kid version with Rice Krispies and marshmallows. These treats have crunch, with caramel and chocolate—kind of like a Peanut turtle treat. For more delicious bars, try my Chocolate Layer Bars or my Toasted Almond Shortbread Bars.
Even though these Rice Krispie treats grew up into Chocolate Caramel Crunch bars – they are still super simple to make. The hardest part of making them is unwrapping all 30+ caramels.
The ingredients for the Chocolate Caramel Crunch Bars:
No- gluten in these bars. So what are they made out of. Rice Krispies, caramel, and peanuts in the bar. Then it is all “frosted” with chocolate and butterscotch chips. If you have kids or grandkids, this is a great “cookie” to make together.
How To Make Chocolate Caramel Rice Crunch Bars.
This is another SIS (simple is smart) recipe. Once all of those caramels are unwrapped, it’s time to whip up these bars.
- Melt the caramels along with a little water in the microwave. Stir every 30 seconds until the caramel is melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted caramel over the Rice Krispie cereal and toss in the peanuts. Stir or toss the whole mixture to evenly coat the Rice Krispies.
- Press into a baking pan and sprinkle 2 cups of chips on top. Here is where you can get creative with chocolate and butterscotch. Use Chocolate and peanut butter, or white chocolate and dark chocolate instead of the butterscotch
- Melt the chips for a few minutes in the oven and then swirl the melted chips together to create a “frosting” for the chocolate caramel crunch bars.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. The comment section is down at the end of the blog, after the recipe. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- 9 X 9 inch pan
- 1 bag caramels (about 38 caramels)
- 2 tbsp water
- 4 cups Rice Krispie cereal(112g)
- 1 cup peanuts (142g)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips(170g)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips(170g)
- Add the Rice Krispie cereal and peanuts to a bowl.
- Add the water to the caramels in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals. Stir after each 30-second interval. Continue to microwave until caramel is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted caramel over the cereal and peanuts. Toss to coat the cereal.
- Press the mixture into a greased 9 X 9-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips on top and bake at 200°F for 5 minutes or until the chips are melted.
- Lightly blend the melted chips to form a "frosting" swirl pattern. Cool and cut into bars.