Creamy Mac and Cheese is my grandkids’ favorite Mac and cheese after their mom banned the Kraft boxed Mac and cheese. Much to their dismay. It doesn’t have that fake cheese flavor, but they think it is still good because it is sooo creamy.
What makes this Mac and Cheese sooo creamy?
Hmmm, I would say the key to the creaminess is the half and half with milk and the Velveeta cheese. The Velveeta cheese is as close to fake cheese as I am willing to go. However, it is the secret ingredient that helps this recipe mimic the boxed Mac and cheese.
What do I need to make Creamy Mac and Cheese?
In addition to the Macaroni, you will need lots of cheese. I use four different types of cheese. Cheddar, extra sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack Cheese, and Velveeta cheese. Yeah, I know cheddar technically, and extra sharp cheddar is the same cheese. The creamy part comes from butter, milk, and Half and half. You will also need a large baking dish. This recipe makes enough for 8 to 10 people.
How do I Make this Creamy Mac and Cheese?
This recipe is easy enough that my 9-year-old granddaughter loves to make it for dinner. Precook the macaroni to al-dente and drain. Grate and add the cheese or purchase pre-grated cheese. I cut the Velveeta cheese into cubes. Mix the liquids (half and half, milk, and eggs). Add the butter to the macaroni and then stir everything together and mix well. Place in a large greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly.
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, they reheat great in the microwave or oven.
To Freeze: Freeze before baking. Defrost and bake according to the above directions.
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. The comment section is down at the end of the blog, after the recipe. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- large 9 X 13 baking dish
- 1 lb ncooked elbow pasta
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1½ cups Half and Half
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- 10 oz Velveeta cheese cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta to Al-dente', drain and put in large mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Add the melted butter to the cooked pasta and stir in.
- Add the grated cheese and stir in.
- Add the cubes of velveeta and stir in.
- Beat the egg and add it to the milk, Half and Half, and stir the mixture into the mac and cheese.
- Pour into the large greased baking dish.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes or until the center is hot and bubbly.