Crumb Top Apple Pie – Oh My. The smell of apple, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg baking in the oven – it’s heavenly! This pie has a flaky, buttery crust. The filling is sweet with a hint of tart apples and a crumb topping with crispy rolled oats. Who says Fall is apple pie season? This is Farmer Fred’s favorite pie, so I make it for him year-round. Besides, who can resist a warm piece of pie with a scoop of ice cream? It’s even delicious on a warm day.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
SIS – Simple is Smart Tip.
Oh dear, you are out of apple pie spice, or maybe you never had any. Either way, this tip has got you covered. Make your apple pie spice with what you have in your pantry. Make extra and store it in an air-tight container for use later. Here is my no-fail recipe for Apple Pie Spice Blend.
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
Ingredients for Crumb Top Apple Pie.
Crumb Top Apple Pie Ingredients:
Butter: I use salted butter when I bake. I think it’s easier than purchasing two types of butter. If you want to use unsalted butter, increase the salt in this recipe by 1/4 of a teaspoon. The butter should be at room temperature.
Brown Sugar: Adds sweetness to your pie.
Sugar: granulated or white sugar.
Flour: all-purpose white flour. The flour thickens the mixture. Helps prevent a soggy pie.
Apple Pie Spice: See the SIS Tip for how to make your apple pie spice if you don’t have any on hand.
Boiled Cider: Boiled cider is apple cider that is reduced to about 1/4 of its total volume by boiling it. The result is a thick sweet apple syrup. Yummy.
Rolled Oats: Use the Old Fashioned rolled oat, not the quick cooking ones.
Brown Sugar: Adds sweetness.
Butter: Salted or unsalted, it doesn’t matter.
Flour: All-purpose white flour.
Par-Bake the Pie Crust:
Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees and par-bake the pie crust. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees.
Make the Apple Pie Filling:
Peel and core ten medium size apples. Cut the apples into small pieces.
Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the apples to the skillet. Add the rest of the pie ingredients: the boiled cider, brown and white sugar, flour, spices, and a pinch of salt.
Saute for 3-5 minutes or until thickened, and the flour is cooked.
Make the Crumb Topping:
Mix the flour, brown sugar, and rolled oats together. Add the softened butter and mix until crumbly.
Assemble and Bake the Apple Pie:
Add the sauteed apple pie filling to the par-baked pie crust. Top with the crumb topping and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. If the topping or crust is over-browning, loosely tent with a piece of aluminum foil.
The pie may be runny if you don’t let it cool completely. However, I love a slice of warm apple pie with vanilla bean ice cream.
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. After the recipe, the comment section is at the end of the blog. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply by name.
- To see the ingredient amounts in metric units, click the blue "METRIC:" button between the ingredients and the instructions for this recipe.
- 1 Deep Dish Pie Plate
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 1 Make or Purchase one pie crust.
- 10 cups peeled, sliced, and cored baking apples
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp Apple Pie Spice
- 4 tbsp flour
- ¼ cup boiled cider
- 1 cup brown Sugar
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- 6 tbsp Soft butter cut into cubes when cold. Then let the cubes warm up to room temperature.
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. (218°C)
- Make and par-bake a pie shell. After the pie shell is baked, turn the oven down to 350°F(180°C) Click here for my Easy No-fail pie shell.
Make the Apple Filling.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add the apples.
- Add the boiled cider, brown sugar, white sugar, apple pie spice, and flour and saute for 3-5 minutes until the flour is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
Make the Crumb Topping
- Mix the brown sugar, oats, salt, and flour.
- Add the butter and mix until crumbly with your fingers.
Assemble the Pie
- Add the partially cooked apples to the parbaked pie shell.
- Top with the crumb topping.
- Bake the pie at 350°F (180°C) for 45 minutes.When done, remove from the oven and let the pie cool completely before serving.