Dream Bars are decadent chocolate, coconut, and pecan bars layered on a graham cracker crust. Once you’ve tried them, you will dream up excuses to make them again. A friend of mine calls them Better Than Sex Bars. I am just saying.
Dream Bars: Another family recipe. I found an old recipe file of my moms and discovered all kinds of great recipes from my childhood. Call these bars; layer bars, or monkey bars. I made them upscale by using some toasted, maple-infused flakes of coconut. Over the winter, our neighbor in Florida gives snowbird Farmer Fred the coconuts from his tree. Fred flakes them, infuses them with maple, and toasts them in the oven until they are golden and crispy. The taste is fantastic. These toasted coconut flakes are also great in my homemade granola and coconut cream pie.
How Do I Make Dream Bars?
It’s so Easy that this recipe also qualifies for my SIS (simple is smart) recipe status. It is another 3 step recipe.
Step 1: Make the graham cracker crust with graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press the crumbs into a 9 X 9 -inch baking pan—no need to prebake the crust.
Step 2 Layer chocolate chips, nuts, and coconut flakes-in that order-on top of the crust.
Step 3: Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the bars and bake in the oven until golden brown on top. Bake about 15 minutes. Cool, cut, serve, and enjoy.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- 9 X 9 baking pan
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs(200g)
- ½ cup melted butter(113g)
- 2 cups chopped pecans(228g)
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips(133)
- 1 cup coconut flakes(60g)
- 8 ounces sweetened condensed milk.(227g)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter and mix it into the graham cracker crumbs. Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of a 9 X 9-inch baking pan.
- Add a layer of chopped nuts, a layer of mini chocolate chips, and a layer of toasted coconut flakes.
- Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the top of the bars.
- Bake for 14 - 18 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Cool for 1 hour prior to cutting.
This Post Has 3 Comments
Pingback: Vegan Cinnamon Nut Breakfast Bars - Grow with Doctor Jo
I make 7-Layer Bars or Magic Cookie Bars in a 9 x 13 pan. Recipe is very similar. I use either 2 c. choc bits or 1 c. each of choc & butterscotch bits.
They’re one of my faves and are now a favorite of my grandkids.
Your recipe sounds delicious as well. How wonderful to have grandkids you bake for. Thanks for the rating.