This delicious Fresh Peach Tart starts with fresh, ripe, juicy sweet peaches and cinnamon. Arrange the peaches on a bed of lightly sweetened cream cheese. Then snuggle the whole creation in a sheet of flaky puff pastry. Bake to a lovely golden brown with crispy, flaky edges. Does this recipe inspire you? Make my Blueberry Apple Rustic Tart or a Rhubarb Peach Galette for more inspiration.
SIS Tip (Simple is Smart) When you have several peaches to peel, Submerge them in a kettle of boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove the peaches from the boiling water and cool under running water. The skins will slip off, leaving you with a perfectly peeled peach ready to slice or bite into.
Ingredients for the Fresh Peach Tart.
Puff Pastry: I had a box of frozen purchased puff pastry. You will need two sheets. Most boxes come with two sheets.
Fresh Peaches: Fresh ripe peaches are the heart of this dessert. If you use frozen peaches, you may need to increase the instant clear jel amount.
Brown Sugar: for a little extra sweetness if the peaches aren’t fully ripe.
Lemon Juice: Helps the peaches stay a sunny bright yellow.
Vanilla: adds a bit of floral flavor and is always great in desserts
Instant Clear Jel: This is the thickener. It thickens instantly and doesn’t break down with the heat in the oven. If you don’t have this ingredient use corn starch instead.
Cinnamon: Cinnamon and peaches are the perfect winning combination for this recipe.
Cream Cheese: always a creamy addition to a delicious pastry.
Egg Yolk: Add the yolk to the cream cheese to keep the cream cheese from melting into the dough. Save the egg white for an egg wash and to help the sparking sugar stick to the dough.
Confectioners sugar: adds just the right amount of sweetness to the cream cheese without the graininess of granulated sugar.
Sparkling Sugar: Adds a finishing touch to the edges of the tart.
Prepare the Peach Topping for the Fresh Peach Tart:
Prepare the peaches by blanching them in boiling water for 30 seconds. Peel and thinly slice the peaches.
Add the instant clear jel to the brown sugar and then add the mixture to the peaches. If you don’t have instant clear jel add 2 Tbsp of corn starch instead. The peaches will be easier to work with if you use the clear jel. The clear jel thickens the peach juice instantly.
Add the vanilla, cinnamon, and lemon juice to the peaches. Gently toss to combine.
Make the Cream Cheese Layer:
Add the confectioner sugar and egg yolk to the cream cheese. Beat until creamy with a hand mixer.
Assemble the Fresh Peach Tart:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
If you purchased frozen puff pastry, defrost in the fridge overnight. Remove one sheet and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to make a 12 X 12-inch square.
Spread half of the cream cheese mixture on the dough, leaving about 1 inch around the edge without cream cheese.
Fold the puff pastry up over the peaches and seal the corners with egg wash.
Brush the edges with egg wash and sprinkle with sparkling sugar,
Repeat the steps for the second sheet of puff pastry.
Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until the puff pastry is puffy, brown, and crisp around the edges.
Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. To reheat in a convection oven works best. Reheat at 400 degrees for about 6-8 minutes or until hot and flaky.
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. The comment section is down at the end of the blog, after the recipe. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply by name.
- 1 Hand Mixer
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- To see the ingredient amounts in metric units, click the blue "METRIC:" button between the ingredients and the instructions for this recipe.
- 1 box purchased box of puff pastry with two sheets. If the puff pastry is frozen, defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
Fresh Peach Topping
- 4 large peaches sliced thin
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp instant clear jel
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- sparkling sugar
Cream Cheese Base
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 large egg yolk (save the white for an egg wash)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
Fresh Peach Topping
- Blanch, Peel, and thinly slice the peaches.
- Add the instant clear jel, brown sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Mix to combine and set aside.
Cream Cheese Base
- Add the powdered sugar and egg yolk to the cream cheese. Beat until smooth and creamy with a hand mixer.
Assemble The Rustic Tart
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Remove one puff pastry sheet from the box. Leave the other sheet in the box, in the refrigerator.
- Carefully unfold and use a rolling pin to flatten it so it lays flat. Roll it a bit thinner until it is about 12 X 12 inches.
- Spread half of the cream cheese mixture on the puff pastry, leaving about one inch around the edges without the cream cheese.
- Arrange half of the peaches on top of the cream cheese
- Brush the corners of the pastry with the egg wash and fold the edges up over the peaches to form a rim of puff pastry around the peaches. Use the egg wash to seal the corners together.
- Brush the puff pastry rim with egg wash and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Repeat steps with the second sheet of puff pastry to form two rustic tarts.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the edges are a golden brown and crispy. The center may puff up during baking, but it will flatten back down when it cools.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream for dessert.
- Serve warm as a breakfast pastry.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheating in a convection oven works best. Reheat at 400°F until hot, and the edges are crispy about 6-8 minutes.