When I made this grilled asparagus, ham, cheese sandwich and gave it to Farmer Fred, he informed me that asparagus was not on his list of what should go in a sandwich. Lol, I told him, it has 2 out of 3 of his favorite sandwich filling. After all, as the song says, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. He is such a good hubs, he ate the whole sandwich, declaring it “not bad” code for he liked it or it was good. WHEW!!! So if you are like Farmer Fred and have asparagus on your list of, “doesn’t go in a sandwich,” give it a try, you might just also decide, “it’s not bad.
Grill the Asparagus and Make the Smoky Russian Dressing.
– Make the Dressing: The smoky Russian dressing is equal parts mayonnaise and ketchup, some dijon, and liquid smoke to taste – usually about 1/4 tsp.
– Grill The Asparagus: Before grilling the asparagus, prep. it by snapping off the bottom 1 to 1 1/2 inches of each spear. This gets rid of the tough/fibrous (not edible) bottom of the spear. Drizzle the spears with some olive oil, salt, and pepper to your taste and grill on a hot 475-degree grill until fork tender.
Assemble and Heat the Grilled Asparagus, Ham, Cheese, Sandwich:
Slice an 8-inch baguette lengthwise and spread each half with 1 tbsp/ of the smoky Russian dressing. Add the ham and swiss cheese. Broil the sandwich open-faced under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes. When the sandwich is hot, and the cheese is melted, remove from the oven. Add the grilled asparagus, and bring the two halves together. Cut the grilled asparagus, ham, cheese sandwich in half, and serve with your favorite chips or a salad and some iced tea.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
Grilled Asparagus, Ham and Swiss, Hot Sandwich
Smoky Russian dressing
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (113g)
- ¼ cup ketchup (113g)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke seasoning
- 8 slices Ham sliced thin
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1/2 lb asparagus (225 grams) fresh
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Smoky Russian Dressing
- Mix together the mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, and liquid smoke. Set aside
- Preheat a grill pan, or panini grill press to 400°F.
- cut or snap the tough 1 to 1½ inches off the bottom of each asparagus spear
- drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus and roll the spears in any oil that runs off to coat the spears. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Grill the asparagus until fork tender.
- While asparagus is grilling, Cut the two baguette in half lengthwise and spread each half with 1 Tbsp of the smoky Russian dressing. There will be some dressing leftover.
- Add 4 slices of the Ham and 2 slices of the cheese to each baguette
- Place the open sandwiches under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes or until the sandwiches are hot and the cheese is melted.
- Add 6 to 8 spears of the hot grilled asparagus to one side of each sandwich. Close the sandwich and cut in half. Serve with your favorite chips or a salad, and iced tea.