Hashbrown Casserole -potatoes with cheese. This casserole is “Mac N Cheese” for breakfast. Instead of the pasta, it has potatoes. Once baked, it is brown and slightly crispy on the outside, hot and bubbly, cheese and potatoes, on the inside. Perfect for a winter morning or brunch. My homemade Sticky Buns or Fresh Apple Cinnamon Chip Scones are delicious with the casserole.
What Is In A Hashbrown Casserole? Cheese, Cheese, Cheese and potatoes. Sooo good and simple to make. This breakfast cheese and potato dish start with a bag of frozen hashbrown potatoes. Diced pieces of potatoes in a bag. Usually in the freezer section with the french fries. If you can find it, purchase a bag with some onions and peppers and potatoes. Ore-Ida makes a bag of potatoes O’Brien that has the onions and peppers in with the potatoes.
Now I’m going to bitch a bit. Have you noticed how 1lb. containers of items are now only 12 ounces? The price didn’t decrease, just the amount. Bacon is my current pet, peeve. I think I’m getting a great price when I get the bacon home I notice it is only 12-ounces instead of a full pound!
The potatoes O’Brien are now only 12 ounces. I purchase the 12-ounce bag for this recipe. If you can’t find the potatoes O’Brien, purchase potatoes without the peppers and onions. Saute a cup of onions and a half cup of peppers, add them to the casserole instead. You will also need a can of creamy chicken or mushroom soup
How Do I Make Hashbrown Casserole? This breakfast cheese and potato dish is so simple to make. Add a thawed bag of potatoes with the peppers and onions already in the bag to a mixing bowl. Add a can of creamy chicken, or if you are vegetarian, use mushroom soup, and the cheese. Don’t forget the salt and pepper to taste. The creamy soup adds that extra decadent creamy texture. Once baked, the casserole should be browned on top and around the edges, hot and bubbly in the middle.
Can I make the Hashbrown Casserole ahead? This breakfast casserole can be made ahead and frozen unbaked. Just defrost from frozen overnight in the refrigerator, or make it up to 2 days ahead. Store it in the refrigerator, and bake the morning you want to serve it.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 1 lbs potatoes frozen hashbrown style with peppers and onions. (Potatoes O'Brien) 1 bag - see notes
- 1 can cream of chicken soup use cream of mushroom if vegetarian
- 3 cups shredded cheese cheddar either sharp or mild
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Mix the potatoes, soup, cheese, salt, and pepper together.
- Place in a 9 X 9 or 9X13 inch baking pan (see notes).
- Bake uncovered at 400°F for 1 hour. The top and edges should be browned and the cheese all melted and bubbly. If the hashbrowns were frozen increase the baking time by 10 - 15 minutes.