Homemade Wontons- Tender bites of savory meat and vegetable in a crispy and flaky wrapper. Dip into some sweet chili sauce for extra spice and flavor. Dip into some quick and easy homemade dipping sauce.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
Gather the Ingredients for Homemade Wontons.
Here is what you need:
- Wonton Wrappers. I purchase mine from an Asian or International Food Market. The wonton wrappers are 3-inch X 3-inch square. They are made with flour, eggs, and water.
- Meat -ground Pork or make it vegetarian with a plant-based sausage.
- Vegetables – carrots, celery, scallions, garlic
- seasonings: ginger, soy sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Other- sesame oil, cornstarch
Let’s Make some Homemade Wontons.
SIS simple is smart steps to making these yummy wontons:
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Place 1 1/2 tsp of the filling on the wrapper.
- Dip your index finger in water and “paint” water around the outer edge of the wrapper
- Fold the wrapper over to form a pocket with the filling sealed inside.
- Finish folding the wonton as shown in the video.
Homemade Wonton Dipping Sauce:
The dipping sauce is super quick and easy to make. Whisk together:
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce with 1 tsp. Rice vinegar and 1 tsp sesame oil. Add 1 tbsp. Sugar and 1 tbsp. Chopped scallions. Finish with a few drops of your favorite hot sauce, and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.
Fry the Wontons or use them in Wonton Soup.
Deep fry the wontons in a deep fryer or a deep frying pan with at least 3 inches of oil in it. Use a thermometer to monitor the oil temperature. Keep the oil a steady 375-degrees F. If the oil is too cold, the wontons soak up oil and are greasy and heavy. If the oil is too hot, they burn.
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. The comment section is down at the end of the blog, after the recipe. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- deep fryer
- 1 pkg Wonton Wrappers 12 ounce package
- 1 lb ground pork (453g) (see notes for vegetarian)
- ½ cup diced celery (25g)
- ½ cup coarsely grated carrots (25g)
- ½ cup chopped scallions (25g)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl
- Place 1 tsp in the center of a wonton wrapper
- Fold the wrapper as demonstrated in the video.
- Heat oil to 375°F (190°C) (see notes)
- Fry the wontons a few at a time for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with Wonton Dipping Sauce or Sweet Chili Sauce