Hot Cocoa Bombs – OMG, these are the BOMB. I recently heard about hot cocoa bombs from my daughter. I figured they would be fun to make and look at. They are probably fun to explode (if they even explode). How they are supposed to explode wasn’t clear as there aren’t any explosive materials in them. After all, it’s a drink for kids or adults that have some kid in them. Yes, they do “explode” and don’t make a mess with the explosion, and I am pleased to announce I enjoyed drinking them.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
What do I Need to Make Hot Cocoa Bombs:
I think it is easiest to just give you the list. Most of this can be found on Amazon I’ve Included the links for the hard to find items.
- Mold for the bombs.
- Green, Pink, and White Candy Melts
- Mini marshmallows
- Hot cocoa powder (I use the one for milk)
- Mold for the Unicorn and monster horn.
- Monster and Unicorn sprinkles.
- Candy writers for drawing on the faces
- Gold Glitter pen with edible glitter ink.
- Candy eyeballs for the monsters.
The first 4 items are mandatory, the rest of the items are optional.
Don’t forget the hot milk for melting the bombs and making them explode.
Make The Bombs
Step by Step Instructions for How to Make the How Cocoa Bombs:
- Melt the candy melts for the bombs in the microwave for 30-second intervals. Stir after every 30 seconds until the candy is melted and smooth.
- Coat the individual wells of the mold with melted candy melts. Use the back of a spoon to apply two thin layers. Let the candy harden between layers.
- Fill the wells with 1/4 tsp. sprinkles, 4-5 mini marshmallows, and as much hot cocoa as will fit.
- Seal the wells with more melted candy and refrigerate for 1 hour before unmolding. .
Decorate The Bombs to Look Like Unicorns and Monsters.
- While the bombs are hardening in the fridge, make and color the unicorn horns Gold.
- Make the Unicorn ears by cutting a mini marshmallow on the diagonal.
- Unmold the hot cocoa bombs.
How to Decorate Your Hot Cocoa Bombs:
- For the Monster: Add eyes and draw on a mouth. To make the COVID monster cover small spots of green melted candy with red sprinkles.
- For the Unicorn: Attach the horn and ears with white melted candy. Draw on the eye’s with the candy markers. Make a crown with some sprinkles and melted candy.
Explode Your Hot Cocoa Bombs:
You will need 1 cup of milk for each Bomb.
- Bring the milk to a simmer (don’t boil).
- Place one Bomb in a teacup.
- Slowly add the hot milk and watch the decorations “melt off the Monsters.”
- When the milk reaches the eyes wait about 30 seconds for the chocolate to soften. Give the Bomb a gentle poke with the end of a spoon. Watch the contents “explode: to the surface of the cup.
- Stir, drink, and enjoy. The contents of the hot cocoa bomb cool the hot milk. A child can drink the hot cocoa right away.
- There is melted candy in the bottom of the cup. My grandsons think that is the best part. They love eating the melted monsters.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. The comment section is down at the end of the blog, after the recipe. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- Mold for making the monsters and unicorn
- candy markers
- edible ink pen - gold
- Mold for Monster and Unicorn horns
- 3 bags candy melts pink, green, and white
- 2 tsp sprinkles blue and green for monsters, pink and purple for unicorns
- 8 candy eyes
- ½ cup hot cocoa powder
- 8 cups milk
- 1 Bag Mini marshmallows
- Melt the 1 cup each of the pink and green candy melts in the microwave. Melt in 30 seconds intervals. Stir after each 30 seconds until the candy is melted
- Coat the inside of the mold with 2 layers of the candy melts. Let melts harden in the fridge between after each layer.
- Fill the wells of the mold with 1/4 tsp sprinkles, 4-5 mini marshmallows, As much hot cocoa as will fit.
- Seal the wells with more melted candy melts. Let Harden, while they are hardening, use a Unicorn Mold to make the Unicorn and Monster horns and color them using the gold pen and black candy markers.
- Once the "bodies" are hard, unmold the Unicorns and monsters from the mold.
- Decorate to look like unicorns and Monsters using the horns, candy eyes, and candy markers.Color the Unicorns' Horn Gold with the Gold edible ink pen.
To Explode the Bomb
- Put the Monsters and the Unicorns in a cup or mug.
- Bring either water or milk to a boil and immediately pour of the monsters and unicorns.
- Let the hot water melt the candy for about 15 seconds and then gently poke them with the end of a spoon.
- Watch as the contents "explode" out and pop to the top of the cup.