Immune Boosting Smoothie: This smoothie packs a punch with its antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and immune-boosting anti-inflammatory and anti-viral ingredients. So give that virus the KO punch.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
How does this immune boosting smoothie boost your immune system?
This smoothie has a secret weapon. It’s elderberry juice. In a study published by the University of Sydney in April of 2019 found that compounds from elderberries can directly inhibit influenza’s virus’s entry and replication in human cells, and can help strengthen a person’s immune response to the virus. In addition to the elderberry juice,its loaded with antioxidants to help you stay healthy and on the go.
What goes into the immune boosting smoothie other than elderberries?
Strawberries: nutrition includes vitamins C and B6, minerals Manganese and potassium. It’s a good antioxidant and high in fiber.
Blueberries: A superfood whose nutrition includes vitamins C and K. The minerals manganese and 15 different antioxidants.
Raspberries: nutritions includes vitamins C, K E, and B. In addition to anti-inflammatories, they are another antioxidant powerhouse.
Almond milk: good source of Vegan protein because they contain all the essential and non-essential amino acids. They are heart-healthy and also contain magnesium.
Honey: natural sweetener with a low glycemic index.
Yogurt: lots of probiotics and healthy bacteria.
All these ingredients add up to a good for you, breakfast or lunch on the go.
How To Make Almond Milk?
I make my own fresh, preservative-free, almond milk. It’s simple and much tastier than the almond milk purchased from a store.
Here is how it’s done.
1. Soak the almonds in water for 4 to 6 hours.
2. Discard the water and add the almonds to a blender along with more water.
3. Blend until having white frothy looking “milk”.
4. Stain the almond fiber out using a nut-milk bag or cheesecloth. Nut-milk bags work best. Click here for where you can purchase one. Squeeze the nut-milk bag to drain out all the milk. The residual left if the bag resembles a dry paste. Your almond milk is now ready to use. Store it for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Tell me how to make this immune booster smoothie!
So easy, put all the ingredients in the blender, blend until smooth. Pour, serve, and enjoy. Put some in a thermos for breakfast or lunch on the go. Just stir or shake before drinking as the ingredients may separate.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- Powerful Blender
- 2 cups water filtered
- 1/2 Cup Whole Almonds
- 1 cup blueberries frozen
- 1 cup strawberries fresh or frozen
- 4 ounces vanilla yogurt vanilla flavored
- 8 ounces Almond Milk
- 2 ounces raspberry juice concentrate 1 cup whole raspberries
- 1 serving elderberry juice either liquid or powder - see notes
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- Soak the almonds in 2 cups of water for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Discard the water and add soaked almonds to the blender.
- Add 2 cups filtered water and blend until white and milky
- Strain the milk through a nutmilk bag or several layers of cheesecloth. Squeeze the bag to remove all the liquid. The residual should feel slightly dry and crumbly.
- Measure out 2 cups for the smoothie and put the rest in a covered container or freeze. The extra will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for 6 months.
- Put all the ingredients in the blender and Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass to enjoy now, or thermos for enjoying later. Stir or shake before enjoying as the smoothie will separate with sitting.