Jarlsberg roasted vegetables are a delicious way to use up the end of summer vegetables in your garden. Grill the veggies and layer them with Jarlsberg cheese.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
I have to be honest here. This tastes better than it looks in these pictures. It is a very yummy casserole. The slightly charred flavor of the roasted veggies combines nicely with the juicy ripeness of the cherry tomatoes. Add a hint of herbs and garlic, and smother with melted cheese for one delicious casserole. This is a fantastic way to use and enjoy all of the late summer garden bounties; squash (yellow and zucchini), red peppers, eggplant, and cherry tomatoes. Now that pretty much shouts summer YUM.
What do I need to make Jarlsberg Roasted Vegetable Bake?
Answer: Lots of garden-fresh roasted vegetables. Get creative and use what is fresh in your garden or from the supermarket-summer squash, onions, peppers, garlic, eggplant, and tomatoes. The roasted veggies and Jarlsberg cheese are the heart and soul of this dish. If you don’t have Jarlsberg, Swiss cheese is just as good. Grate the cheese and layer it in the casserole with the veggies.
How do I Roast the Veggies?
Summer vegetables are easy to roast. You can roast them on the BBQ in a grill basket. (not discussed here). I roast them on the stove in a hot grill pan. Either way is delicious, and both take about the same amount of time to roast.
SIS (simple is smart) Way to Roast Vegetables on a Grill Pan.
The key to great roasted veggies in a grill pan is to make sure the grill pan is good and hot before you start roasting. The veggies should sizzle when you put them on the grill pan. Coat them with a little oil and roast to desired doneness.
A note about the eggplant: I’ve noticed that the eggplant doesn’t get tender as fast as the other vegetable. Slice the eggplant a little thinner than the squash, between an eighth and a quarter of an inch. Slice the squash about 1/3 of an inch thick. Also, grill the eggplant until it is fork-tender as it doesn’t soften up much more in the casserole during baking.
The rest of the vegetables should have some good char marks on them, but still, be firm. Remember, you will be baking them with all that yummy Jarlsberg cheese.
Assemble the Jarlsberg Roasted Vegetable Bake.
Once the vegetables are roasted, divide them in half—layer one half in the bottom of an oval 8 X 10-inch casserole dish. An 8 X 8-inch square baking dish also works well. Add some Italian seasonings. Use a teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning. If you prefer fresh herbs use a tablespoon of fresh minced herbs. Add half of the garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Go light on the salt as the Jarlsberg adds salt. Top with the halved cherry tomatoes and half of the grated cheese. Layer the rest of the roasted vegetables on top and finish with the rest of the herbs, garlic, and cheese.
Bake at 350-degrees F. for 30 minutes. Test the veggies for doneness. Serve with some fresh artisan bread and a garden salad with my strawberry vinaigrette dressing for a delicious vegetarian meal.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 1 Asian eggplant (200g)
- 2 med zucchini (400g)
- 1 med yellow squash(200g)
- 1 medium red pepper sliced
- 3-5 scallions
- 2 medium cloves of garlic minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 3 cups Jarlsberg cheese coarsely grated
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice the squash (yellow and zucchini) eggplant, and red peppers into pieces. Heat a grill pan until very hot.
- Lightly coat the sliced vegetables with vegetable oil. (about 2 tbsp of oil) Grill the yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, red peppers, and scallions in a hot grill pan. The grilled veggies should still be very firm with char marks on them. Dice the scallion into ¼-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Grate the cheese and mince the garlic cloves.
- Layer 1/2 of the roasted yellow squash, zucchini, red peppers, and eggplant in a baking dish in an oval 1.5-quart baking dish or an 8 X 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the cherry tomatoes, 1 tsp of Italian seasoning and half of the minced garlic over the roasted vegetables. Sprinkle half of the grated cheese.
- Layer the rest of the roasted veggies, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Top with the rest of the cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and veggies are tender.