Lattice Top Apple Pie is an American classic. This apple pie has a twist when you pour a cinnamon-sugar syrup over the crust. The mixture coats the crust and it becomes a crunchy cinnamon sugar lattice top apple pie.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
Have you noticed how all of the pie plates for sale are either deep dish or 9-10 inches across. Have you also noticed that all of the pie crust recipes are for a small shallow pie plate. I am solving that problem with my Flaky No Fail pie crust recipe. I have the correct portions for either a smaller regular sized pie or a larger deep dish pie. Either way you will have plenty of crust for your pie. The amounts for the larger pie are in the Recipe Notes.
What do I Need to Make This Lattice Top Apple Pie?
You will need enough pie crust for a deep dish pie. In addition to the pie crust peel, core, and slice 10 cups of pie apples. Granny Smith are a favorite. However other varieties also work well. In addition, you will need apple pie spice, flour, and sugar. I put some sparkling sugar on top for extra sparkle and crunch.
Here is How you can make a Lattice Top Apple Pie.
I don’t like to use flour in my apple pie. I like the apple to be a little firm ( I don’t like applesauce pie) after the pie is baked. When I use flour in the pie, either the apples are mush or I can taste the flour.
For this recipe I precook the apples in a large skillet with the flour, spices, and a little butter. The precooking thickens the the juices and I don’t taste the uncooked flour after the pie is baked.
Once the apples are precooked I set them aside to cool while I roll out the pie dough for the crust. Let the apples cool for a minimum of 30 minutes before adding them to the pie plate.
Roll out the pie dough and place one crust in the deep dish pie plate. I split the pie crust dough so the bottom crust is larger than the top crust. Fill the pie plate with the precooked apples and weave the lattice top on the pie. Click Here for how to weave a lattice top on your pie.
Baking your Lattice Top Pie.
Bake the pie at 425-degrees F for 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 350-degree and bake for another 45 minutes. Cover the edges of the pie with a pie shield to prevent over-browning.
Serve with some vanilla ice cream.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- Deep Dish Pie Plate
- 1 recipe premade pie crusts (click here for a recipe) see the note below about this recipe.
- 10 cups peeled, sliced, and cored baking apples (1.4kg)
- ¼ cup butter(60g)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar(130g)
- ½ cup white sugar(157g)*
- 1 tbsp Apple Pie Spice
- 4 tbsp flour(30g)
- sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Make the apple filling.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add the apples.
- Add the apples, brown sugar, white sugar, apple pie spice, and flour, and saute for 3-5 minutes until the flour is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
Assemble the Pie
- While the apples are cooling, roll out the bottom crust for a deep-dish pie plate.
- Add the apples to the pie crust. If there is liquid in the bottom of the pan, do not add it to the pie. Pour this into a measuring cup and set aside.
- Watch this video for how to make a lattice topped pie crust. (click here)
- Once the lattice crust is finished pour the reserved liquid over the top of the pie. Sprinkle the top of the pie with sparkiling sugar.
- Bake the pie crust at 425°F for 15 minutes. Then cover the edge of the crust with a pie shield to prevent over-browning. Turn the oven down to 350°°F. Bake an additional 45 minutes if you like your apples firmer, bake an additional 35 minutes.When done, remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.