Meatloaf Bowl with mashed potatoes and Gravy is comfort food at it’s best. The meatloaf bowl is moist and tender, heaped high with sooo creamy mashed potatoes, and smothered with homemade gravy. So Tasty!!
Meatloaf bowl with mashed potatoes and gravy is a one dish meal. I recently purchased a new gizzy. That’s what farmer Fred calls my new kitchen tools. This gizzy is an awesome pan that makes bowls for desserts. Check out my brownie bowl blog. The pan makes easy and delicious brownie bowls. I figure that the pan would also make delicious meatloaf bowls and I was right. Oh my, these meatloaf bowls are good. I took 3 of my favorite dinner foods and combined them into one dish. I’m loving this dinner dish. Add a fresh green salad and dinner is done.
Make the Meatloaf
The meat in the meatloaf is two parts beef and one part pork. Season it with onion soup mix (any variety), ketchup, and steak sauce. I love the dry onion soup mix because it adds lots of flavor with one envelope. This meatloaf recipe is enough for 6 bowls.
During baking the meatloaf drips fat onto the bottom of the over. I put an old cookie sheet under the meatloaf pan to catch the drips and keep the oven clean. After the meatloaf is baked, let it cool for at least 10 minutes before removing it from the mold. Take a butter knife and run it around the edge of each mold to loosen the meatloaf. Removing the meatloaf bowl too soon will cause the meatloaf bowl to fall apart. Hey even if it falls apart, it still tastes great, just mound up the potatoes and smother with gravy.
Make Super Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Use either red, white, or yukon gold potatoes, not russet potatoes. Peel and boil the potatoes in salted water until they are fork tender. Put the cooked potatoes through a potato ricer. The ricer gets rid of chunks and gives a silky smooth texture to the mashed potatoes. Beat the potatoes with Half and Half and butter until creamy. Finish with crispy bacon. Farmer Fred says, “the way to get me to eat mashed potatoes is to add lots of bacon!” So true.
Make the Gravy and Assemble.
Make the gravy with homemade beef stock. A rich hearty beef stock makes the best gravy. However, if you don’t have any stock on hand go ahead and purchase some premade gravy or make some gravy from purchased beef stock or broth.
To assemble: Heap the meatloaf bowl with the mashed potatoes and top with the homemade gravy. Garnish with some parsley. The meatloaf bowl is delicious served with green beans with sage browned butter or a garden salad.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
Meatloaf Bowls with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- dessert bowl maker pan (see notes)
- 1 lb. ground beef 80% lean
- ½ lb. ground pork
- ½ cup bread crumbs unseasoned
- 1 pkg dry onion soup mix any brand
- 2 tbsp steak sauce
- 2 eggs beaten
- ⅓ cup Ketchup
Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Bacon
- 2 lbs potatoes eastern white or Yukon gold, peeled
- ¼ cup butter melted 1 stick
- 2/3 cup half and half hot but don't boil
- 4 pieces bacon cooked until crispy
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 tbsp bacon fat from frying the bacon
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- ⅓ cup flour all-purpose
- 2 cups beef Broth homemade beef stock is best
- salt and pepper to taste
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the meat, breadcrumbs, dry onion soup mix,
- Whisk together the eggs, steak sauce, and ketchup.
- Pour the egg mixture over the meat and stir to mix well.
- Spray the individual wells of the dessert bowl maker pan. Divide the meatloaf equally. The meatloaf will be even with the top of each well.
- Bake for 30 minutes, let cool for at least ten minutes. Run a butter knife around the edge of the mold. Make sure the meatloaf is loose from the sides. Put a baking sheet over the pan and flip the pan upside down. The meatloaf bowls should come out easily when you lift the pan up off the mini meatloaf bowls.
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Make ahead and reheat just prior to filling the meatloaf bowls.
- Peel and boil the potatoes until soft. (about 22 minutes) Drain and put them through a potato ricer. The ricer makes perfectly smooth, lump-free mashed potatoes. If you don't have a ricer, mash with a potato masher and set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl and add 1/2 of the Half and Half, while beating on a low speed until mixed in, Add the rest of the Half and Half, and beat briefly on low to mix in.
- Add the butter in two separate additions beating on low between additions. Beat just until potatoes are light and fluffy. Don't overbeat. Set aside until ready to fill the meatloaf bowl. Then reheat and stir in the bacon bits.
- Place the meatloaf bowls on a serving platter or individual plates. Use a medium-size scoop to over fill each bowl with the mashed potatoes. Pour the gravy over the top and garnish with some parsley. Serve immediately with more gravy on the side.