This mini apple tart is the perfect size for one. It is quick and simple to make, but looks like you spent all day in the kitchen. This recipe will make a total of 8 tarts, perfect for a dinner party.
Let me count the ways to love apples. There is apple pie, apple crisp, apple cobbler… You get the point the best way to enjoy apples is apple-based desserts. When Halloween is over, it is time to start thinking about what to cook for dessert on Thanksgiving. After all, dessert is the most essential part of the meal. Well, on Thanksgiving, I will begrudgingly award that honor to the turkey. However, all the rest of the year, desserts rule.
Oh, what to make! No Thanksgiving dessert buffet is complete without an apple pie, right? Now, I love the traditional 2 crust apple pie. However, this year, I am taking that tradition to a new level with my individual apple tarts topped with ice cream, drizzled with caramel, and for all the salted caramel lovers – sprinkled with sea salt flakes. Now, that might just rival Mr. Turkey Bird this year.
This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
How To Make A Mini Apple Tart – Step By Step
If you don’t have any mini tart pans, it’s time to purchase them now. Click Here to purchase them or go to Shop my Kitchen and purchase them and the cinnamon chips. Make sure you buy 4-inch ones with a removable bottom. Target usually has the cinnamon chips, and also Amazon.
You will need 2 pie crusts for 8 tarts. Divide each crust into quarters. Cut out a rough five-inch circle from each piece and use it to line the tart pan. Trim off any excess. Those trimmings are delicious sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and baked with the tart until browned.
Seal the crust with a wash of egg whites. In the tart bottom, add a tsp. of caramel and 2 tsp. of cinnamon chips. I tried adding anything that goes well with apples. i.e., caramel sauce, cinnamon chips, sugar and cinnamon mixture, or melted chocolate. The caramel/cinnamon chip combination was by far the best. My least favorite was the chocolate. If you are a chocoholic and are sure that’s the one for you, make a chocolate test tart before you commit to 8 chocolate tarts. The chocolate tart wasn’t as good as I though it would be.
Make sure you use caramel sauce, not caramel syrup. For a super fast and easy recipe go to my Caramel Sauce- Super Easy recipe. Click Here There is more than enough for the tarts with plenty to drizzle on the top before serving.
We all love caramel sauce. However, too much caramel in the tart is not a good thing. It will bubble up, and run over during baking. The sad result will be a stuck tart – glued to the pan with caramel. What a mess! Spraying the tart pan with nonstick cooking spray is helpful. However, don’t use more than a teaspoon of caramel, or the tart will get stuck,
Next, peel, core, and slice half an apple. Put the half apple in the tart pan, flat side down. Top with sparkling or granulated sugar and cinnamon.
Bake at 350-degrees F for 30 minutes. Cool and remove from the tart pans.
Finishing The Tart
Just before you serve the apple tart, Add a mini scoop of ice cream and drizzle with some caramel sauce. A few sea salt flakes give the caramel that salted caramel flavor.
Yes, the best way to finish a mini apple tart is to eat it.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 8 mini 4-inch quiche or tart pans
- 4 apples peeled and sliced
- 2 pie crust homemade or purchase refrigerated
- 1/2 cup Cinnamon chips chopped
- 1 Tbsp sparkling sugar sparkling
- cinnamon for dusting
- 4 tbsp caramel sauce purchased or homemade
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Peel, cut in half, and core 4 medium size apples. (about 4-inch diameter) Use your favorite pie variety.
- Make or purchase a pie crust for a double pie. Click Here for my Easy No-Fail Piecrust recipe. Roll each piecrust into a 10-inch circle.
- Divide each crust into quarters and cut each quarter piece into a 5-inch circle. Line the mini tart pan with a 5-inch circle of pie crust.
- Brush the bottom of the pie crust with slightly beaten egg white.
- Add 1 tsp of caramel sauce and 2 tsp. of chopped cinnamon chips.
- slice 1/2 of an apple and place flat side down in the mini tart pan.
- Sprinkle the apple tart with non-melting sugar* and cinnamon
- Bake for 30 minutes on the bottom rack in the oven.
- Cool the tart on a rack for 15 minutes and then remove from the pan.
- Just before serving, top with a mini scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzles with caramel sauce, and sprinkle with a few flakes of sea salt. Best enjoyed fresh the day they are made.*