New England Lobster Roll is a sandwich of tender lobster meat salad on a traditional New England split-top hot dog bun. This sandwich signals summer in New England. A staple of New Englands’ State Fairs and Festivals.
It’s hot outside, and the heat is seeping into the kitchen, making it hot enough that I am in no mood to heat it up more by cooking a hot meal. When this happens, I go looking for something creamy, cold, and delicious to make into a sandwich. Today I scored big time with several lobster tails and some homemade hotdog rolls that I made the other day for the grandkids hotdogs.
Lobster salad in a split top hotdog roll, now that is living the summertime life. A traditional split-top hotdog roll is a must if you are making this sandwich New England Style. It is the Lobster salad that makes the sandwich, not the roll. If you only have a regular hotdog roll or even a hamburger roll, go ahead and use it. Pssst. Don’t tell anyone I said it was ok!
Step by Step Instructions for a New England Lobster Roll
This will make enough for 4 to 6 rolls, depending on how much you stuff them.
- Chop 1 lb of lobster meat into bite-size pieces.
- Add the mayonnaise, finely diced celery, and chives.
- Give a generous squeeze to a cut lemon, adding it’s juice to the salad. Stir to mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Feeling adventuresome, give it a dash of hot sauce or mix in some wasabi.
- In a frying pan on medium, toast the roll in melted butter.
- Add the lobster salad to the toasted roll and serve immediately.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
- 4 hotdog rolls split top New England style
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 lb lobster meat (450g) cut into bite-size pieces.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup celery diced fine
- 1 tbsp chives diced fine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice fresh-squeezed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the mayonnaise, celery, chives, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the lobster meat. Stir together until well mixed.
- Add 1 ½ tbsp of the butter to a frying pan. Heat on medium until the butter is melted.
- Open 2 of the hotdog rolls and add to the butter, split side down. Heat the rolls in the butter until browned and toasted. Do not toast the outside of the roll. Remove the toasted rolls and put on a plate. Add the rest of the butter and toast the other two rolls.
- Fill the rolls with the Lobster mixture. Serve immediately