Instant Pot, Pot Roast is the perfect solution to – what’s for dinner Mom -questions from the kids. On a chilly fall evening, it is quick, easy, moist, tender, and delicious. It will warm up your brood from the inside out. Make plenty, though, because it is also great the next day as a sandwich or quick lunch.
Back before Instant Pots, a great pot roast dinner took most of the day to properly cook. Along came Instant Pots – they are really just fancy pressure cookers – and a great pot roast can be ready for dinner in a little over an hour. Add some Sage Browned Butter Green Beans with Almonds and a few Oven Roasted Potatoes, and dinner is done. Let’s hear it for the Instant Pot.
Another SIS (Simple is Smart) Recipe for Pot Roast.
Why is this recipe so simple? Because it only has 3 ingredients and is cooked in the Instant Pot. Here is the SIS method!!!
Sear the pot roast on all sides in the instant pot. Add a quart of beef broth (homemade is best). If you just happened to run out of your delicious homemade broth, I won’t tell anyone you used purchased broth. In addition to the broth, you need one package of any variety, onion soup mix. Add the broth and soup mix to the meat in the Instant Pot. Put the cover on the Instant Pot and set the pressure to high. Pressure cook on high for 90 minutes, then quick-release the pressure.
Make a thick, rich, delicious gravy out of the liquid/broth from the pot. Be sure you use a gravy separator. The separator will let you easily get rid of the fat.
No need to announce it’s time for dinner with this meal. The kids will show up as soon as you release the pressure from the instant pot – sending that delicious aroma all through the house.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments.The comment section is down at the end of the blog, after the recipe. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 lb pot roast
- 3 cups high-quality beef stock.
- 1 pkg onion soup mix
- optional carrots or celery
- Remove the excess fat from the roast. Season the roast with salt and pepper, and brown it on all sides in 1 tbsp of oil in the instant pot on saute.
- Add the beef broth and onion soup mix. Also, any (optional) vegetables you want.
- Turn the lid to lock, set the timer to 90 minutes, and turn the pressure valve to closed.
- Quick-release the pressure at the end of the 90 minutes.
- Remove the pot roast and carve. Use the liquid in the Instant Pot to make gravy for the pot roast. The onion soup mix adds salt to the broth so taste before adding salt.