Red White and Blueberry Galettes bring together the sweet ripe berries of early summer. The berries are nestled on a bed of sweetened cream cheese and wrapped in puff pastry. They are then baked into a perfectly browned and flaky pastry.
SIS (Simple is Smart)
Whenever you have a juicy fruit pie or pasty that needs thickener use instant clear jel instead of flour. The clear jel thickens instantly. This also makes a juicy fruit pastry like these galettes so easy to work with. The clear gel doesn’t break down while baking.
What do I need to make my Red White and Blueberry Galettes?
For the base:
You will need two sheets of puff pastry 10 X 10 inches. Purchased puff pastry usually comes with two sheets in the box, about 9 X 9 inches, so you will need to roll them out to be a little more than 10 X 10 inches.
For the filling:
The filling has Strawberries, blueberries, instant clear jel, sugar, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and a pinch of nutmeg. Use freshly grated nutmeg if possible. Use the bottled juice if you don’t have freshly squeezed lemon juice.
If you don’t have the instant clear jel you can use flour. Use three tablespoons of flour instead of two. The flour doesn’t thicken the berries as much as the instant clear jel. If you like to bake fruit pies and pastries, consider purchasing the instant clear jel. I love the instant clear jel because it instantly thickens hot and cold liquids. It also stands up to the hear of baking or boiling on the stove.
For the Cream Cheese:
his yummy top and bottom layer have a block of cream cheese, powdered sugar and one egg yolk. Don’t use the whipped cream cheese. Save the white for the egg wash.
Extra’s include the egg white and the sparkling sugar for sprinkling on top of the galette before baking,
Step by Step Instructions:
Preheat the Oven to 375-degrees F
Make the Filling: Mix the instant clear jel with the granulated sugar. Mix the strawberries and blueberries with sugar, lemon juice, and nutmeg. Add the instant clear jel and sugar to the berry mixture.
Make the Cream Cheese Mixture. Beat the cream cheese with the egg yolk and powdered sugar.
If the puff pastry sheets aren’t 10 X 10 inches, roll them out to be slightly more than 10 X 10 inches. Cut each sheet into four circles. Each circle should be five inches across. Reroll the leftover pieces to make two more circles. You will have a total of ten circles.
Spread one tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture in the middle of each circle. Add about 1/2 cup of the berries on top of the cream cheese.
Brush the edges of each circle with egg wash and fold the edges up to create a rectangular galette. See the video for how to do this. Seal the corners with egg wash.
Add another tablespoon of the cream cheese on top of the galette.
Brush the galette with egg wash and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
Bake the galettes on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 30 – 35 minutes
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. After the recipe, the comment section is down at the end of the blog. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply by name.
- 1 large baking sheet
- 1 piece parchment paper
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 1 cup fresh blueberries(150g)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries cut into quarters if large berries. (150g)
- ½ cup granulated sugar(100g)
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp instant clear gel
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk (save the white for use as an egg wash)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp sparkling sugar
- 1 box puff pastry (2 sheets)
- Mix the blueberries, strawberries, lemon juice, and nutmeg.
- Mix the instant clear gel, with the granulated sugar and add it to the berries.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese with the egg yolk and the powdered sugar.
- Roll out the puff pastry dough one sheet at a time to make a 10 X 10-inch square. Cut the sheet into four 5-inch circles. Then re-roll the scraps for one more circle.
- Spread about 1 tbsp cream cheese mixture onto the middle of each puff pastry circle.
- Add ¼ of a cup of the berry mixture on top of the cream cheese.
- Fold the edges of the galette up to form little rectangles. Watch the video for how to fold the puff pastry circle.
- Repeat with the other sheet of puff pastry dough to make ten galettes.
- Add another spoonful of the cream cheese on top and spread over the fruit.
- Brush the galettes with egg wash and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake 375° for 30 - 35 minutes until puffy and golden brown.
- Serve warm.
- Store the leftover galettes in a container at room temperature for two days.