This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
SIS (simple is smart) recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
Hummus has to be super smooth and creamy to be a great dip or spread. It seems like everyone has a secret to making their hummus smooth and creamy. Some will tell you to take the skin off of the canned chickpeas. Others swear by reboiling the canned chickpeas until they are mushy. I have tried all the different methods/secrets out there, and have concluded the SIS way to super creamy and smooth hummus is to:
- Blend a long time – 4-5 minutes in a powerful blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix.
- Serve it immediately or chill it. After chilling if your hummus thickened add a small amount of ice water and briefly blend to mix in the water. . It will be the smoothest, creamiest hummus ever.
What Do I Need for Roasted Red Pepper Hummus?
The base for hummus is Tahini Paste and chickpeas. Jump on over to my recipe for tahini paste. Homemade is so much better than purchased. Totally worth the extra effort to make it. Now that you made your Tahini Paste. Isn’t homemade yummy?
SIS Tip for Roasted Red Pepper Puree
Here is another SIS tip. Next time you roast red peppers, roast 2 or 3 extra peppers. Put them in the blender and puree them until smooth. Pour the puree into a silicone ice cube tray and freeze. Once frozen, store the roasted red pepper cubes in a ziplock bag for up to 6 months. There are 2 tablespoons of puree in a cube. Spread the red pepper puree on bread or vegetables. Add it to an omelet. Mix in some minced dried onions and garlic, fresh Italian herbs, and salt for a delicious dip.
How Do I make Roasted Red Pepper Hummus?
This Hummus dip is easy and quick to make. Gather all of your ingredients. Put the tahini, olive oil, salt, garlic, and lemon juice into your blender, and blend until smooth. Add the chickpeas and Red Pepper Puree to the mixture and blend for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides. Blend another 2 minutes. If the hummus is thick, add 1-2 Tbsp of ice water and blend for another minute. Serve immediately or chill the roasted red pepper hummus for 2-3 hours and recheck the consistency. If it has thickened, add another 1-2 tbsp of ice water and blend enough to mix the water in.
Put the Roasted Red Pepper Hummus in a serving container. Layer a few swirls of extra virgin olive oil on the top, sprinkle with some paprika (smokey or sweet), and add a few pine nuts. Now where are those No-Knead Pita Triangles?
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- Powerful blender link a Ninja, Blendtec, or Vitamix
- ⅓ cup tahini (for an easy recipe click here)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves smashed garlic
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp roasted red pepper puree
- 1 can drained and rinsed chick peas
- 2-4 tbsp ice water
- Smash the garlic and add it to the fresh lemon juice. Let it marinate for 10-15 minutes before adding it to the hummus.
- Put all but the red pepper puree and chickpeas into a powerful blender and blend for 1 minute
- Add the red pepper puree and chickpeas and blend for 2 minutes, scrape sides and add 2 tbsp of the ice water. Blend for 2 more minutes. If the Humus is still very thick add 1-2 more tbsp of the ice water if the hummus is still thick. The key to creamy smooth hummus is adding enough ice water and blending for the full 4 minutes. Let the hummus cool for several hours in the fridge and recheck the consistency. Add an additional 1-2 Tbsp of ice water to thin out and blend for another 30 seconds if needed.
- Put in the serving container, add a swirl of extra virgin olive oil, some paprika, and a few pine nuts.