Southwest Egg Rolls are loaded with all of your favorite southwest flavors. Make them vegetarian or with chicken. Deep fry or Air fry for a healthy and delicious alternative to deep fry. They are simple and delicious, however you decide to make them.
Southwest Egg Rolls Ingredients - Vegetarian
What are all of the Southwest Flavors that make these Southwest Egg Rolls so delicious?
It is Cinco De Mayo, and I couldn’t resist making one of my favorite southwest dishes. I love all the flavors of this dish, and when they are stuffed in a crispy fried egg roll wrapper, I have to restrain myself from devouring way too many. The Avocado Crema (my favorite Mexican food topping ever) and the Salsa don’t help with my willpower either.
These Southwest Egg Rolls are super easy to make when you start with Premade purchased Egg Roll Wrappers. I’ve tried making my own wrappers, and for the occasional time I make Egg Rolls, it is much easier to use the Premade wrappers.
For the filling, you can make it vegetarian or add meat. If I am making for both vegetarians and meat lovers, I make the vegetarian first and fry them before frying the meat egg rolls. Mix all of the ingredients for the filling. Jalapeno peppers are optional if you like your Southwest Egg Rolls spicy.
How to Fold the Egg Roll Wrapper.
Add about 2-3 tbsp. for the filling to the egg roll wrapper. Fold the wrapper as shown in the above pictures. I seal the final fold of the Egg Roll with a little water. It’s kind of like gluing an envelope closed.
How to Cook the Southwest Egg Rolls.
To cook the Egg Rolls, you can Deep fry them (shown here), Bake them, or cook them in the Air Fryer. They can be deep-fried in a Deep Fryer or a pan on the stove. If you use a pan on the stove, put about 2 inches of Oil in the pan. The temperature of the Oil should be a steady 375 degrees F.
To bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and then spray or brush the Southwest Egg Rolls with oil. Bake 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Air Fryer – spray or coat the Southwest Egg Rolls with some Oil and cook in the Air Fryer for 12 – 15 minutes.
Serve the Southwest egg rolls, hot and fresh from the fryer or oven. Top with some Chunky Salsa and Homemade Avocado Crema. When you make it, be sure to put the Umami Powder in it; Oh My Goodness, the Umami Powder makes the Crema irresistible. MMM – Good.
The Egg Rolls also freeze well. Freeze them individually on a baking sheet and then put them in a ziplock bag or vacuum pack. Remove as many as you want to cook. Cook them the same as fresh. However, you have to add 3-4 minutes to the air fryer time or baking time. Add 1-2 minutes to the frying time.
Pop on over to my social media sites, where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. The comment section is down at the end of the blog, after the recipe. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- deep fryer
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 24 Egg Roll Wrappers
- 1 cup Black Beans (190g) drained and rinsed.
- 1 diced Red Bell Pepper (100g)
- 1 cup Canned Corn (190g)
- 1 medium diced Onion (90g)
- 1 tbsp. Homemade Taco Seasoning (see notes)
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese blend or can also use Cheddar Cheese.
- ¼ cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro(90g)
- 2 cups Chopped Rotisserie Chicken (280g)
- Homemade or purchased Salsa for serving
- Avocado Crema (see notes)
- Mix together the black beans, red pepper, corn, onion, seasonings, cilantro, and cheddar cheese.
- If you are making vegetarian Egg Rolls use this mixture to fill the egg rolls.
- For chicken egg rolls, add the 2 cups of chopped chicken and mix in before filling the egg rolls.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of the filling to an egg roll wrapper. Fold and roll up as shown in the video
- Deep Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. (see notes for baking or air fryer)
- The egg rolls freeze well. Freeze the egg rolls individually and place them in a ziplock bag or vacuum pack. When you are ready to use, Don't defrost. Fry them an extra 2 minutes and bake or air fryer an extra 3-4 minutes.