Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce: Sweet and tart combination of strawberries and rhubarb is a delicious addition to breakfast waffles or pancakes. An ice cream Sundae topped with this sauce will be a winner at your next party. Add some whipping cream or heavy cream to the sauce and enjoy a bowl of it for dessert. Strawberry Rhubarb sauce is soo good on Brown Butter Pancakes.
How Do I Find Rhubarb For Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce?
Fresh-picked rhubarb is the juiciest. However, during May, it will show up in the produce section of the grocery store. 3 – 4 stalks are enough for a cup of sliced rhubarb. When you find it, buy extra. Come July, your ice-cream sundae will thank you for making extra and freezing it.
Rhubarb, is it a fruit or a vegetable? If you guessed fruit, than you are in the majority. Most people think it is a fruit. Nope! It is a vegetable. I gave some to a friend awhile back. He didn’t know what it was and tried to stir fry it with some other vegetables. He still gives me a hard time about that horrible sour vegetable I gave him. Oh my, now when I give rhubarb to someone who has never cooked it, I warn them about how tart it is, and I give them this recipe.
Here Are The Steps for This Delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce.
1. Pick or purchase several stalks of rhubarb. Slice them into 1/2 inch slices. You want 2 cups in total.
2. Slice a cup of fresh strawberries.
3. In a 2 quart kettle, add the rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup of water.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the strawberries and simmer for 1 more minute.
6. Remove from heat and serve either warm or cold. Both are delicious.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
- 2 cups rhubarb (240g) sliced, 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup strawberries (167g) fresh, sliced
- ½ cup sugar (198g)
- ¼ cup water (236ml)
- Add rhubarb, sugar, and water to a kettle.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced strawberries and simmer for 1 more minute
- Serve hot or cold. Delicious over ice cream or on waffles.