Strawberry Sauce is late spring, early summer in a jar. However, it tastes even better when you make it in winter. It has the promise of warmer days to come and reminds you that winter isn’t forever. Make it with frozen strawberries and serve it warm on Brown Butter Pancakes or waffles or chilled on cheesecake or ice cream. However you serve it, it will be a bright spot in your day.
Here is the How-To:
This sauce can be made with either fresh or frozen strawberries. I use frozen. After all, it seems like such a shame to cook fresh strawberries when frozen berries work just as well.
You will need a pound of frozen berries. Don’t thaw them first. They go straight from the freezer to the kettle. In addition to the berries you need a thickener. I use cornstarch. However, rice flour, tapioca, arrowroot powder also work as thickeners.
The SIS (simple is smart) steps for Strawberry sauce.
- Dissolve the thickener in about 1/4 of a cup of water.
- Add the strawberries, sugar and a little lemon juice.
- Cook on medium, stir to prevent scorching, and cook until thick and bubbly.
- Serve hot, warm, or cold.
- For a deeper red color, add 3-4 drops of red food coloring.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. The comment section is down at the end of the blog, after the recipe. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment, and I will reply to you by name.
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- 1/4 cup water(60ml)
- 1 lb frozen whole strawberries(453g)
- ½ cup sugar(99g)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 drops red food coloring optional
- Combine the cornstarch and the water in a saucepan. Stir to dissolve,
- Add the frozen strawberries. (don't thaw the berries first), sugar, and lemon juice.
- Cook on medium heat until the berries are hot and the sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and serve either warm or chilled.