Tropical Burger: Vegetarian or Meat – This tropical burger will transport you to the islands with its grilled pineapple, sweet grilled onions, and spicy teriyaki mayo. Make it vegetarian with plant-based protein burger, or make it meat with lean hamburger. Either way it is a bit of paradise in every bite. YUM!
Let’s Make the Spicy Teriyaki Mayo for this Tropical Burger.
The kick in this spicy mayo is wasabi sauce, use a little or use a lot depending on how much you want to fire up your burger. Other than the wasabi, add teriyaki sauce and my favorite flavor booster Umami/shiitake mushroom powder. Mix and spread on your toasted burger rolls. A word about the rolls. If you want extra soft homemade Hawaiian rolls to go with you tropical burger hop on over to my blog and get a recipe for Hawaiian Rolls. They are so worth the extra time.
Grill the Veggies and Pineapple.
Heat up a grill pan on the stove, or grill the pineapple and veggies in a grill basket on the BBQ. Before grilling the pineapple, make the pineapple glaze by melting a couple of tablespoons of butter and mixing the melted butter with a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar. Use a basting brush to paint the mixture onto the pineapple before grilling. Drizzle some vegetable oil on the pepper slices, and onions then grill the veggies and pineapple in the hot grill pan. To create the lovely grill marks on the pineapple turn the pineapple slice 90-degrees half-way through.
Cook the Burgers, Assemble, and Enjoy Your Tropical Burger.
Use 1/4 of a pound of meat or plant-based protein for each burger. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Cook the burgers on the BBQ to the desired doneness. The plant-based burgers take longer to cook. Unlike meat, they don’t get tough and chewy when they are well done. Add a piece of swiss cheese to each burger when you flip it over to cook the other side.
Assemble the Tropical Burgers by toasting the rolls, Spread 1/2 of a tbsp of spicy mayo on each half of the roll. Add the burger and top with the grilled sweet onion slice, grilled pineapple slice, and grilled pepper slice. Add the top half of the roll and serve with a side of my Sweet Freezer Pickles.
- bbq or grill pan
- 1 lb Hamburger Meat or Beyond Burger Plant Based Protein.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 Hamburger Buns or my Homemade Hawaiian Rolls
- 4 slices of sweet onions 1/4 inch thick
- 4 red pepper round slices
Spicy Teriyaki Mayonnaise
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Teriyaki sauce
- ½ tsp wasabi paste
- 1 tsp umami powder*
- 4 fresh pineapple slices ½ inch thick
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
Spicy Teriyaki Mayo
- Mix together the mayo, teriyaki sauce, umami powder, and wasabi paste. Set aside.
- Add the melted butter to the brown sugar, Stir to Mix. Brush on both sides of the pineapple and set aside.
- Grill the glazed pineapple slices in a hot grill pan for 30 seconds, rotate ¼ of a turn and grill for 30 more seconds. Flip slices over and grill the other side the same way. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the onion slices with a small amount of vegetable oil and place in the hot grill pan. Grill 1-2 minutes each side until translucent. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the red pepper round with a little vegetable oil and grill 1-2 minutes on each side. Until the pepper is slightly tender but still crunchy. Set aside.
- Season the hamburger or plant-based burger with salt and pepper. Form four 1/4 lb patties.
- Cook the burgers to the desired doneness. Add the swiss cheese to the burger when you flip it over the first time.
- Toast the rolls (click here) for my Hawaiian Rolls recipe. Add ½ tbsp spicy teriyaki mayo to each half of the roll.
- Add the cooked burger with the melted swiss cheese.
- Top with a slice of onion, a slice of pineapple, and the red pepper round. Add the other half of the roll and enjoy.