Veal Marsala – seasoned and seared veal scallopini is smothered in rich homemade beef gravy with mushroom and served over buttery egg noodles.
This dish is equally delicious made with either chicken or veal. Veal can be expensive if your budget conscious, make this dish for a special meal. Valentine’s day dinner is a perfect time to enjoy Veal Marsala with that special person in your life. It is elegant enough to impress and still easy to make.
Preparation Of The Veal:
Flatten the veal cutlet to 1/8 of an inch thick and season with salt and pepper. Coat the cutlets with all-purpose flour. The cutlet is then cooked briefly on each side. This step is the key to the whole dish. If the cutlet is overcooked, it becomes tough and chewy. Cook it to perfection, and it will be moist and tender inside and browned outside. To cook, preheat a cast-iron skillet until hot. Add a little vegetable oil and fry the cutlet for 30 – 45 seconds on each side. Remove the cutlet from the pan and set aside.
Next Make The Sauce for Veal Marsala:
The sauce is a rich gravy made from beef stock. I use my homemade beef stock. Homemade stock is much better than the thin watery beef broth you buy in the store. Make homemade stock out of kitchen scraps. It adds richness and depth of flavor to this dish.
To make the sauce, saute the mushrooms and shallots, then add the beef stock and Marsala wine. Thicken with some flour and simmer until the alcohol has evaporated. Add the seared veal cutlets just before serving and heat until just hot.
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- 1 lb veal cutlets (4 - 6 cutlets)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 3 cups beef stock homemade beef stock is best if you have it. (see notes for purchased stock)
- 2 shallots sliced thin.
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- ⅔ cup Marsala Wine
- 2 tbsp Wondra flour (thickener)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour for coating the veal scallopini
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Season the cutlets with salt and pepper and coat with the all-purpose flour
- Heat a skillet, add the vegetable oil, and cook the cutlets about 30-45 seconds a side or until slightly browned on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan. Add the shallots, and mushrooms, saute until the mushrooms are tender and the juices are evaporated. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the homemade beef broth and marsala wine. (see notes)
- Whisk in 2 Tbsp Wondra Flour (thickener) and heat until hot and bubbly.
- When the sauce is thickened, add the veal cutlets to the pan and cook until just hot(about 1 minute). Turn once to coat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with warm cooked egg noodles.