Watermelon radish, has a brilliant fuschia on the inside. Unusually mild, heart-shaped slices are big enough to make one lovely and delicious sandwich.
I never knew what a watermelon radish was until recently. I was at a farmers market and saw this turnip looking root vegetable. There aren’t very many vegetables that I am not familiar with, but this was a new one for me. I thought it was a reddish turnip and almost passed it by. The sign said watermelon radish – grown on our farm. I knew I had to have one. This radish was huge, fully 4 inches across. WOW, I love radishes and hoped it would be mild, sweet, and crunchy. It did not disappoint.
What Are The Fixins For A Radish Sandwich?
Have you ever had a radish sandwich? No! Than you are in for a treat. If you can’t find this beauty of a watermelon radish, go ahead and buy the small variety of radish. The giant radish is a little milder and sweeter, but otherwise very similar.
Growing up, radishes, sliced very thin, and served on a piece of buttered toast for breakfast was a favorite. In early spring the first radishes from our garden were oh so good. Us kids (there were 10 of us) would fight over the radishes. It was always a contest to slice them extra thin so it looked like you had more than your share.
For your radish sandwich, a buttered and toasted baguette is the bread. Add some homegrown broccoli sprouts or microgreens, and top with a boiled egg for protein. A sprinkle of salt and some everything bagel seasoninging . That’s it your beautiful and tasty watermelon radish sandwich is ready to enjoy. YUM!
Pop on over to my social media sites where you’ll find exclusive Doctor Jo’s pictures of what’s new in my gardens. Also, what new recipes I’m creating in my kitchen. I love your comments. So let me know what you think in the Leave a Reply section at the end of this blog. Please leave your first name at the end of your comment so I can reply to you by name.
- This page contains Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you
- ½ baguette lightly toasted 10 inch total length
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 slices watermelon radish 4-inch diameter
- ½ cup microgreens
- 1 egg sliced
- ½ tsp everything bagel seasoning
- salt to taste
- Cut the baguette into two 5-inch pieces and butter.
- Add the microgreens and a radish slice.
- Top with half of the egg.
- Season with salt and everything bagel topping.
- Share your heart-shaped radish sandwich with someone you love.